cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

Steve
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 6,685
Thanks: 248
Registered: 13-07-2009

Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

Read this article today
Quote
Young people are being “locked out” of the chances they need to build a secure future, and Tory policies are being blamed for the crisis.
A report published today from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) said more people aged between 16 and 24 were living in poverty than those over 65 – a rise of 400,000 in the past decade. And the Monitoring Poverty and Social Exclusion report, written by the New Policy Institute (NPI), said it signalled a “stark warning” that the next generation “is facing worse life chances” than their parents.

No surprises there then though I hope my daughter does get into the army, she's  applied and got to go through some tests first.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,545
Thanks: 191
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

Good luck to your daughter in her attempts in joining the Army. It has been announced in Parliament today that we are increasing our Armed Forces so that should be good news for her Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 6,685
Thanks: 248
Registered: 13-07-2009

Re: Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

Thanks Artmo she has some tests to do next week up here and if she passes them then she will be of to Harrogate for 48 weeks.
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,917
Thanks: 596
Fixes: 8
Registered: 02-08-2007

Re: Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

I also wish your daughter good luck with the tests.
On the negative side there was a letter in todays paper which I will quote word for word,
'My daughter applied to the Army last January, hoping to go to Sandhurst and eventually join the Army Air Corps.
An interview date came through in early summer. She had the interview, then we waited for the medical, she was then told this will be in December nearly 12 months since her application. All Army applications are now dealt with by an outside recruitment agency. Her details seem to be passed from pillar to post, and all anyone seems interested in is her body mass index, this is why recruitment is suffering.'
How accurate this letter is I have no idea but at a time when recruitment is so low it seems wrong to treat people this way.
Hope it goes ok for your daughter
Smiley
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,923
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

To be honest I found myself locked out since before the age of 10 and that back then was also a tory government. Add to that a twisted parent who had a very twisted view on the way the world works and by the age of 12 i'd come to realise that i was pretty much doomed.
And then all through my teens and twenties people would say things like "you're such a pessimist", "you're so negative" and the like without actually knowing what barriers and obstacles I was facing in life and not having the slightest understanding of just how bad it was for me to "live" it.
I tend to be at least a decade ahead of others when it comes to ideas and understandings... and only now are people starting to see how the young are going to be screwed - when I was suffering it myself over a decade ago and saying it would only get worse for the next generation.
The world could learn a lot if it stopped being obsessed with money and listened to me for just a few minutes  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Posts: 5,673
Thanks: 109
Fixes: 1
Registered: 11-02-2013

Re: Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

Quote from: M
Read this article today
Quote
Young people are being “locked out” of the chances they need to build a secure future, and Tory policies are being blamed for the crisis.
A report published today from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) said more people aged between 16 and 24 were living in poverty than those over 65 – a rise of 400,000 in the past decade. And the Monitoring Poverty and Social Exclusion report, written by the New Policy Institute (NPI), said it signalled a “stark warning” that the next generation “is facing worse life chances” than their parents.

funny the exact same thing was said when labour diluted the education system and it started churning out people that couldn't spell and had average reading ages of 7>11 with zero prospects for the many, they announced huge funding increases in education to tackle the problem introduced university tuition fees and hired those same illiterates as teachers, 15 years on and its somehow the fault of the current government who fought the liberals at every turn for 5 years trying to turn the education system around without being able to block the appointment of those illiterates as teachers because of the human rights bill, something else they wanted to change but were blocked from doing so.
you can blame the tories only for the policies they implement on their own, the liberals had such great ideas as top down reform of the NHS and hug a hoody both of which failed to achieve anything other than waste large sums of money, you cant however blame them for attempting to increase the effectiveness of the education system nor can you blame them for not achieving that so far, yes there are lots of young people walking about without any impetus to get on in life and who sadly also lack any real education, they are however being offered education to help them find employment and even if that results in a dead end job its better than no job.
the problem with all such reports is they so rarely look at long term implications of anything and use political posturing to heap blame for anything on the current job holder when in reality they haven't had the job long enough to have caused the problem and couldn't really fix it even if they wanted to, that time has long past and whilst it might be sad there's no use moaning about it, they will likely end up as the next baby boomers if they don't all find a job in the military as cannon fodder in the upcoming war against those nasty nutters in hot countries .....
Quote from: M
I hope my daughter does get into the army, she's  applied and got to go through some tests first.

I hope she's successful too, that life isn't for everyone but everyone that tries it out is to be applauded regardless.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Steve
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 6,685
Thanks: 248
Registered: 13-07-2009

Re: Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

@gleneagles, @nanotm thank you for your kind words. I hope she makes it and will keep you posted  Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Posts: 5,673
Thanks: 109
Fixes: 1
Registered: 11-02-2013

Re: Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

Quote from: gleneagles
I also wish your daughter good luck with the tests.
On the negative side there was a letter in todays paper which I will quote word for word,
'My daughter applied to the Army last January, hoping to go to Sandhurst and eventually join the Army Air Corps.
An interview date came through in early summer. She had the interview, then we waited for the medical, she was then told this will be in December nearly 12 months since her application. All Army applications are now dealt with by an outside recruitment agency. Her details seem to be passed from pillar to post, and all anyone seems interested in is her body mass index, this is why recruitment is suffering.'
How accurate this letter is I have no idea but at a time when recruitment is so low it seems wrong to treat people this way.
Hope it goes ok for your daughter
Smiley

its likely very accurate since capita was awarded the contract to recruit for the army some years back and has been publicly slated over its failings in the past linky
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/14/army_online_recruitment_computer_system_flawed_millions_wast...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,322
Thanks: 467
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: Young people are ‘locked out’ of the chances for a future

I used to go to school with the boy mentioned in this article. He came from a single parent family of modest background. Even so he's done well for himself. The school which helped him and me was closed years ago and bulldozed by the local Council.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.