cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Young commit crimes on railways

Community Veteran

Young commit crimes on railways

Makes you wonder what makes these people tick ? - I know humans need adventure - but surely not like this.
Makes you feel for the drivers who have to endure the stress of seeing such things.
What do these people parents teach them ?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8194583.stm
9 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: Young commit crimes on railways

Young people commit more than 5000 crimes every year on the railways with August seeing the largest number, according to police.

Well, why am I not surprised that August sees the largest number  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we had another one near here Today on the C2C Southend line at Stanford Le Hope.a 29 year old was treated for Electriciy burns.  the only high voltage is on the Overhead wires.  doesnt seem to be on the BBC news yet
itsme
Grafter

Have things changed that much? A film made years ago called The Railway Children featured a paper chase through a railway tunnel. Supposed it was safer in them days with steam engines.
Community Veteran

I don't think they would be allowed to make a film like that today !. H&S etc.
But when I was a lad - I played at the top of railway embankments  Embarrassed and even placed pennies on the line at level crossings !,
but supervised by my local BR level crossing keeper . He knew there were no trains coming - as he had a local panel &  controlled the signals. We used to "help" him pull the levers  Smiley

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

We did the similar thing with pennies - pre-decimalisation pennies Smiley - but on the open line.
But totally unsupervised - would have lost interest if we had have been!
It was only a branch line - but we also used to walk through the long tunnels (about one mile long) - I never actually got run over.
Had quite a close call one time near a tunnel entrance - didn't hear a diesel-electric coming Embarrassed anyway packed it in after that.
What do you expect kids to do!

Lurker
Grafter

We also used to play on railway lines.
I reckon there's probably less of it these days than there was in the past, except these days what does occur tends to be reported far and wide.
A bit like child abductions - don't they say there are not really any more these days than there were years ago, but somehow we are all more scared about it happening?
Fixes: 105

You might have played on the lines and pennies are one thing... but would you have dreamed of putting a breeze block on the line or throw things at the trains?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 105

Hmm now I see why James_G wanted to derail this thread Tongue think I have spotted him - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7511800.stm
Will Moderate For Thanks
Lurker
Grafter

I have to confess having now watched the video report, my experiences were more focussed on 'exploring' the railways, with the occasional coind placed on the line to see how flat it would go (never actually found the coins again though, but I digress)
The ones in the CCTV images are definitely a different kettle of clowns though.