cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView Trials

Community Veteran

YouView Trials

There is a registration page now for those who maybe interested in trialling Youview see https://trials.youview.com/login
Interesting that it seems you need a 3Mb connection as a minimum. So much for the 2Mb USO.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
79 REPLIES
chuckster
Grafter

Re: YouView Trials

Ooooh, BT Vision for PlusNet at last... with more bells and whistles.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Read more about Youview, here.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouView
or their website ...... here
http://www.youview.com/
Fixes: 125

Thanks for the heads-up, godsell4.
I have registered my interest Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If it wasn't linked to live TV then yeah good idea.  But I want true On demand programs, not having to pay a license Fee to BBC which I don't watch, just to use the service.  Currently use STV/ITVplayer/Channel5 and 4OD for most of my entertainment when my monthly bandwidth allows.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Long term the technology does support an IPTV only solution.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
chuckster
Grafter

Harumph.. still waiting for my follow-up survey from SPA.  Cry

Received an email from YouView this afternoon with a link to a short survey on viewing habits.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I can't really see any point for YouView, but I suppose I can look forward to slowing down the Internet to make way for cramming more TV down telephone lines.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the heads-up, I've been keeping an eye on YouView for a while but had missed this. I've registered for the trial as well.
Bob
chuckster
Grafter

Got my final SPA survey through last night so just have to wait to see if I'm selected.
Currently have Apple TV which is ok, also use Netflix but the range of films is pretty lousy, unless you like obscure films with some very interesting titles.  'Nude Nuns With Big Guns' has to be my favorite in that category.  It's also been in the New Releases section for about three months now.. no others since then.
I'm hoping it'll bring together all my viewing habits in one box.  I know it won't, but I can hope for further progress.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Impossible question: Anyone got any sort of idea what this is likely to take out of an average viewer's monthly bandwidth allowance?
AFAIK BT Vision is unmetered (so not a problem for those with monthly allowances).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chuckster
Grafter

I've been streaming a couple of hours worth of South Park from Netflix, so that'll be SD per day.  My usage is around the 3-4GB mark when I've been doing this (have had a lot of free time while waiting to start new job!) - that's total daily usage for everything.  Not totally indicative but a rough figure all the same.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Don't mind trying...
Playing iPlayer on a television has to be better than replaying programmes on a 22" monitor.  Cheesy

That's why I'm looking forward to trialing it.
While I have iPlayer on my 42" I don't have ITVPlayer or 4OD and it doesn't look like Panasonic will be supporting these anytime soon. So it's either watching on the PC (26") or connecting the laptop to the TV.