Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouGov: UK on demand market saturated

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

YouGov: UK on demand market saturated

http://advanced-television.com/2013/04/11/yougov-uk-on-demand-market-saturated/
According to the researcher, 48% of the online population in the UK used digital catch-up services in the last three months. However, among those that did not watch catch-up TV, just 7% said they thought they would start doing so in the next year, compared to 79% that said they were unlikely to. “Among converts there is clearly a huge appetite for content on-demand services in the UK. However, those who don’t currently access content have a limited interest in doing so in the future,” said Shaun Austin, associate director for media consulting at YouGov.

How depressing, and what a out of touch/stuck in past bunch the majority are if this research is remotely accurate...
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: YouGov: UK on demand market saturated

do you believe that?  everyone i talk to reckons they prefer being able to control when and how they watch whatever they watch.  sound more like some heavy duty wishing going on.
Community Veteran

Whenever the sample size is omitted I treat the 'researcher's' conclusions with a high degree of suspicion!
Geoff,
York.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artificer
everyone i talk to reckons they prefer being able to control when and how they watch whatever they watch.

I mostly achieve that with a PVR. I only stream/download TV programmes when I fail to spot in advance something worth watching. Not all broadcast programmes are available to view on demand and a PVR allows me to skip the ads.  A PVR allows me to watch a programme at any future date and not just during a couple of weeks after broadcast.
Streaming as a main way of watching TV seems to me to be a terrible waste of internet capacity.
peter10
Grafter

I set my DVD recorder if there is something I don't want to miss. Only if the programme has been delayed or I failed to spot it do I resort to using the internet. To be honest there is so little on TV worth watching in the first place. I'm happy to be a member of the out of touch/stuck in past bunch.
nadger
Rising Star

I've given up recording BBC progs and use iPlayer on Roku.
Main reason is Humax is SD but can watch 720p with Roku.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artificer
do you believe that?

No not for a second. I don't believe its the general view of the consumer, but that of 'old media'
Quote from: alanf

Not all broadcast programmes are available to view on demand and a PVR allows me to skip the ads.

Which highlights my point.
It isn't available because of  the old media content producers/providers/copyright holders/broadcasters mentality WRT streaming/downloads.
This needs to change and the sooner the better.  Linear broadcasting and the recording of is such a crap way of doing things.