cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You wouldn't want this coming up your U-Bend!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You wouldn't want this coming up your U-Bend!

A Giant King Cobra found in a sewer in Thailand, enough to give you the screaming heebie-jeebies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-50067105

17 REPLIES 17
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: You wouldn't want this coming up your U-Bend!

Not sure if it's true but they say rats can get up ubends so you might well end up with a bite on the (censored)

We are born into history and history is born into us.
ffox
Pro

We spent a couple of years in Malaysia and can confirm that snakes can get up drainpipes,  I had to go up into the roof once - we knew bats lived up there, but there were also a couple of fat snakes!

King cobras are frighteningly fast swimmers and zoom along with their heads just above water.  Friends who were living in a lodge in the Sultan of Kedah's palace grounds had one of their cats killed by a snake. The gardener said that the fang marks were so far apart that they must be those of a king cobra.  She was out at the bottom of the garden bashing the undergrowth with a strong stick when her husband came home. She told him that she was trying to kill the snake. He pointed out that they can rear up to a third of their length.  This one was rumoured to be 18ft long so she shouldn't be looking low down but just above eye level!  The search was called off immediately.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

You'd have though that if there was any danger of snakes of any description coming the other way there would be some sort of lid on the loo like the have on canal boats but blimey, as if giant sized spiders that appear on the walls overnight were not bad enough!

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

... as if giant sized spiders that appear on the walls overnight were not bad enough!

You mean like this one I photographed through a bedroom window at a relatives house, the spider easily spans the 4" width of the brick it's sitting on.  Cheesy

IMG_2806.jpg

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Is that for real? Shocked

RobPN
Hero

It certainly is!  Thumbs_Up

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Looks like a Huntsman Spider, best steer clear of them, they can pack a nasty wallop with their bites... Shocked

RobPN
Hero

@twocvbloke 

You're dead right, it is.

I forgot to mention I took the photo in Australia.   Grin

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah, that explains it. Thumbs_Up

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

They've been found in the UK too, so keep an eye out for them... Shocked

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As a kid I remember stepping out my back door and seeing a spider that makes that one look like a baby. It ran the four feet or so to the fence and dashed through a gap at what seemed lightning speed. At the same time a neighbour was heard walking up their path clonk clonk clonk CLONK CLONK.

A few neighbours then worked in the docks. I heard there was a lot of banana boats in at the time.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

That spider looks frighteningly like one i found on the kitchen floor around 1993 ish. Lived in a seriously creepy place.. went in the kitchen one day and just found it there on the floor. It was massive.. Had to get a neighbour to catch it - using a cake cover and a large sheet of cardboard. They got rid of it in the garden trees / bushes.. somewhere i never went near after that and still wouldn't to this day.

Only snag is although similar the spider definitely wasn't that one - it was far more sinister looking. Completely grey, looked similar to an octopus, had two octopus type legs (long and flexible - no bones) while the rest were like normal spider legs. Think it had been living in the bottom of an old Belling cooker that was left behind by another resident - we'd been using it for months too.

Just thinking about the memory of that spider freaks me out...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

Not sure if it's true but they say rats can get up ubends so you might well end up with a bite on the (censored)

Here's one that won't be coming up any u-bend anytime soon, caught last night.  Seems it couldn't resist Sainsburys version of Nutella.

(Not huge, but for size reference the rectangular base of the trap is 151mm x 85mm (6" x 3⅜"))

Capture.PNG

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

Couple weeks back my lovely cat Peggy decided to bring a rat home, juvenile sized thing it was, and very much alive, and very bitey (I had Poundland's finest leather gloves on for protection), goodness me was it a right palaver to get that thing to do as it was told and get the hell out of the house!!!  😲