cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You would think Police would know better!!

jmd
Grafter

You would think Police would know better!!

Horrifying story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8129826.stm

poor dogs............................
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: You would think Police would know better!!

They should have known better and who ever is responsible I hope WILL be charged.
When I take my dog on holiday, I tend to leave him in my caravan with the blinds drawn. windows open and a fan running, and with plenty of water, because if I take him with me I can't leave him in the car, and walking in the heat is almost as bad with not many places offering water for dogs outside. Even a few years ago when temperatures were high outside the van remained cool inside (relatively about 10 degrees cooler than outside) and he had no problems.
As I speak he is alternating being outside in the sun and laying in front of the fan I have running  Crazy. And this afternoon he will be in the river for a swim/cool down. Grin
itsme
Grafter

I assume there will be a prosecution, so should it be a fine or imprisonment? If it's the former will the employer pay it which will actual mean the tax payer.
Community Veteran

For trained Dog Handlers to do this is beyond belief. Sad
This should be considered gross negligence and result in immediate dismissal unless somebody can find some really compelling mitigating reason. Can't say I could think of one though.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

from what i read, there will be no prosecutions.  for the public, it is gross negligence.  for the police, an unfortunate mishap.
Community Veteran

And the IPCC are also involved, so it will all disappear for ages while they do their stuff in private. Then once everyone has forgotten about it it will be a tiny meaningless paragraph in some local paper....
[\end cynic mode]
pierre_pierre
Grafter

at least some know better, this one belongs to a friend of mine
scootie
Grafter

when i saw this i was expecting the story to be long the lines of they was out on a job meaning a mistake of leaving your dog van/car in the sun and not leaving ventelation would be alot easyer mistake to make but to do this out side the police station is just utter madness.
am hopeing in sum way the story hasnt been told to its full and they was in a proper dog van and unforently the built in vent system in the dog vans broke.
its 29c in this room am in now would hate know what  temp that tin confin got to b4 they died
takes me back a few years wen i came over car that had a dog left in it with no windows open in the sun and i couldnt decide if to just smash an grab or wait for the rcpsa which they would have to wait for police ect to do anything about any way i waited for rcpsa as i knew i took action straight away i would be the one up in court for crimnal damage and the owner would get of scot free on animal cruelty charges
pierre_pierre
Grafter

aparently not in a van but in his private car on way into work Cry Undecided Lips are sealed Embarrassed
scootie
Grafter

ovbously wasnt a copper of the same attiude as mick martin of dog boastal on bb3 then. he makes out that police dogs come first over anything and even a dirty dog bowl is no no in the police force
Community Veteran

I haven't seen the story and know only what I have read here. I would be surprised that the person involved was the handler for these dogs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

It is believed the dogs' handler was not on duty at the time and had called in to the Sherwood Lodge headquarters, leaving the dogs in the parked car.
Sky News
Community Veteran

* shakes head in disbelief *

Edit, saw this in the article
Officers laid a bunch of flowers outside the force's headquarters as a tribute.
Members of the public were told they could also lay flowers outside the HQ if they wished.

Now we have floral memorials for dogs too?
scootie
Grafter

we have dog graves for many services animals to and well desvered they are to.
off topic but horses that use to go out to battle in world war 1 ect even if they lasted the war never came home
we need dogs for many tasks .
asbo wonders how many more people would of died or been injured by land mines if it wasnt for dogs tasked with these sorts of jobs
it costs 1000's to keep a police helicopter in the air and next to nothing for a police officer to have a dog by his side to find stolen goods, drugs, and that person hiding in an out house thats just robed some ones house
i think these service dogs deserve more tirbute paid to them than what jade goody and m. jackson gets
edit. couldnt resist adding this pic of my dog telling me its 6pm and dinner time. who wouldnt want to pay respect to such intelgent, faithful animals
Community Veteran

Jerrimie  Vine programme programme - some one came on to say they measured it - and temperature in a car can go up to 80C in direct sunlight ! ?