cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You wait ages for a Dalek, then Nine turn up at once !

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

You wait ages for a Dalek, then Nine turn up at once !

Nine missing Doctor Who episodes from the 1960s featuring Patrick Troughton have been recovered in Nigeria and will be made available for fans to watch.
Amazing story of how the missing episodes were discovered.
Eleven episodes were discovered in total  by Phillip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archive, from the tracking records of overseas shipments made by the BBC containing tapes for transmission.
BBC Worldwide has re-mastered these episodes to restore them and enable excited fans, many of whom have never seen the episodes before, to buy them from midnight on Thursday.
Mr Morris said: “The tapes had been left gathering dust in a store room at a television relay station in Nigeria.
I remember wiping the dust off the masking tape on the canisters and my heart missed a beat as I saw the words ‘Doctor Who’. When I read the story code I realised I’d found something pretty special.”
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24467337
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-nine-lost-episodes-2358386#ixzz2hMxTeH9i
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-video-watch-clips-2359692
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/oct/11/doctor-who-missing-episodes-enemy...
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/oct/11/doctor-who-lost-episodes-found-download-bbc

As a youth, I remember watching the very first episodes of Doctor Who, "from behind the sofa"
Then, I later joined the BBC at TV Centre at White City, London  and had the privilege of working on many episodes of Doctor Who ....

14 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Re: You wait ages for a Dalek, then Nine turn up at once !

Quote from: PlusComUK

Then, I later joined the BBC at TV Centre at White City, London  and had the privilege of working on many episodes of Doctor Who ....

I hope you weren't the person to suggest that they reuse the tapes to save money Wink
adie:green fixed quote
Infinity
Pro

Nope, that wasn't be.
We have to be thankful that the BBC sold episodes abroad.
Razer
Grafter

Oh Patrick Troughton; I hated him as the Doctor when I was a little boy. I used to find him just completely frightening. It wasn't until years later, in watching him superbly playing Norfolk in The Six Wives of Henry VIII that I came to like him and appreciate his skill as an actor.
Community Veteran

I was in Nigeria at the time, but the only telly I can remember seeing was in a shop in Ibadan. It was showing ballroom dancing. This was in the middle of the Biafran War, but I was too young to appreciate the bizarre incongruity.
Gabe
Community Veteran

@Gabe
I was in Jos in the Seventies I travelled around mainly to Kano, Bauchi and Jos. I remember Jos as a great place booming because of the mining.
The Plateau Club, the Zoo, The Hill Station Hotel! Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus
We were down at Ife, and being in short trousers at the time I stayed pretty much where I was put - making the early discovery that fruit bats defecate in flight.
Good to remember Jos before it all went so wrong.
I was just wondering if these reels originally went out with the British Council before the TV station got hold of them. I know they showed some BBC children's stuff.
Gabe
Infinity
Pro

Doctor Who Telerecordings
On Canister of One Reel
TELERECORDING
BBC TV
enterprises
16mm
P.O. 002790 16/4ENT/442430
DR WHO
Series QQ no.4
On 16mm Reel
Dr Who
Episode QQ-4
Length 937ft
DURATION 24:59
CX
Grafter

How are things done these days, with the advent of cheap and dense digital storage?
Take for example a live show such as BBC Breakfast or The One Show etc. Do the BBC keep these around indefinitely (and to what quality), or is it going to be the people at home that hold the only copies?
Even something more high profile such as NBC's Saturday Night Live - the only way to see some of the older episodes in their entirety is to download a copy that some evil pirate recorded on home VHS, captured to PC and uploaded as a torrent. Music rights issues mean that the legal versions on Hulu, Netflix or Amazon have been cut. It has been said that the cut episodes may be the only version that NBC have these days, although as with Doctor Who, local cable companies and overseas broadcasters are rumoured to hold complete copies of the originals.
Infinity
Pro

The Doctors
Doctor Who Revisited Documentaries
Watch TV (on SKY & Virgin)

From Saturday 19th October, most days.
(Actually started last Saturday, missed those !!)
Repeated  I gather in November
2pm, a Bio of many of  the Doctors, followed by a classic set of episodes, around 2 hours per story.
Includes contributions from many involved, writers, K9, companions, fans etc.
Repeated 9:40am the following day.
Check your EPG's for exact transmission days.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Gabe
I was just wondering if these reels originally went out with the British Council

Cancel that thought. The labels look like a direct, contemporary sale to RTV Kaduna.
I wonder what happened to all the old British Council reels - possibly worn out and binned.
Gabe
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Working on a UK "managed" research station in the 1960's. We received several dozen BBC labelled vinyl records, these were afternoon plays, serials, and various other programs, remember oh to well the Goons and Dick Barton (Devil's Galop), in later years (so I've heard), instead of vinyl records BBC films were supplied.  Dr Who tapes could have originated from the UK research stations.
Community Veteran

@gabe
Im in agreement with you about the films, I was regularly in Kaduna in the early 1980's and it still had the feel of the old colonial capital of Northern Nigeria. I can well believe the old television station was transmitting BBC programmes.
I remember the rugby club and the motor club on the Kaduna Polo club grounds. Many happy hours spent there.
BTW I was working for UTC at the time. Remember them?
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Afraid I don't remember UTC, though I expect we were eating their brands without me knowing. (But our staple was plantain - if you are what you eat then I'm a banana.Smiley) The only brand of any sort I distinctly remember from that time is Omo.
Ife Uni was modernist, post-colonial and from a child's perspective it all looked very hopeful. Driving around, my main impression was of red dust roads and red rust corrugated shacks. By 72 we'd moved on (to an ODA research station in southern Africa, as it happens).
Gabe
Infinity
Pro