Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You've had your chips.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

You've had your chips.

Well not exactly, but it looks like that as from next year there will be no more Cod n Chips to be had as stocks are now so low that supermarkets will not be selling it. Will it still be available in our local chippies though?

No problem north of the border I guess as it's all 'fish suppers' and Haddock.... and nothing wrong with that.

Who said there was plenty of fish in the sea. Not me. Roll_eyes

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Re: You've had your chips.

It`s not true.....  ( As a certain member of this forum will attest  ) Wink

How do I know that ?  

well.....

because of this....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7501135/Fish-North-Sea-no-longer-sustainable-dramatic-decli...

CheesyGrinCheesy

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not all the fish which is sold as Cod & Chips in chip shops is actually cod it may be Panga ( Pangasius ) or Pollock

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/environment/odd-fish-could-you-tell-if-you-re-getting-genuine-c...

Brian A

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

The problem is presenting as truth from questionable sources of which in all fairness the Daily Mail is only one. Even the Guardian link I provided I was cautious by writing  'it looks like'. 

The issue with the Mail and the Express (to name just two) is that more often than no they have knee jerk headlines that appeal directly to the pseudo middle class. The Guardian has been doing same thing over Brexit in it's appeal to the left leaning liberals. 

Shock horror eh, Shocked

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous 

Not able to access all of that article because of my ad blocker, but if that's the case then they should be prosecuted. I know if my chippy (not that I go there that often because of the price) sold something not as described or even assumned, then they would never again have me as a customer.  

I think most of us have known for some time that fish fingers are rarely cod, sausauges are rarely meat, and only recenly have we seen almond, coconut, soya etc having the word milk removed from their packaging.

Highlighted
Pro

I expect there was something in Corbyn's speech about free fish for everyone, as fish inequality is a major problem. . .

But in any case, 

"If they have no fish, then let them eat cake"

(Fish cake that is) Crazy

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've never really understood the fascination of cod, it's a dry, bland, flavourless fish to me, but people enjoy it, and we can't be interfering with other people's (legal) enjoyments... Grin

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@twocvbloke   Well, it`s more tasty than the Daily Mail, I am sure you will agree ,....... or not  !Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Why would I be desperate enough to eat a rag that I wouldn't even wipe my backside with?? Funny

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

I've never really understood the fascination of cod, it's a dry, bland, flavourless fish

With fish it's always seemed to me that it depends a lot on freshness. Pollock to me has always been all but tasteless. But grab a few off the boat and they are not that bad. I love mackerel. Catch one and cook it on the beach and it knocks your socks off.

With most seafood freshness is number one.

Maybe the fish stocks are low because of the lack of regular feeding.

Should the stink barges be brought back into service.

Highlighted
Pro

@twocvbloke wrote:

I've never really understood the fascination of cod, it's a dry, bland, flavourless fish to me, but people enjoy it, and we can't be interfering with other people's (legal) enjoyments... Grin

You're supposed to eat it, not vape it! Cool_smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Oh I've eaten it, but I find there's more flavour in a cheap loaf of bread... Funny

Highlighted
Pro

All joking aside, some of the stuff I've had has been the taste and consistency of cotton wool, but the stuff we normally get from the shop we use is big flakes of quite nice fish, not "strong" but a nice mild fishy flavour.

Perhaps it's not cod though!

Highlighted
All Star

@Minesapint  could be haddock if its flakey...cod is more meaty I thinkThumbs_Up

Highlighted
Pro

@TTman Could well be. Thumbs_Up

I'll have to ask. TBH, I'm not that much of a fishy person, at least partly because my OH is a bit allergic to it.

Do like a nice bit of fish battered with chips myself though.