Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You've got to Hand it to those Bugs ...

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

You've got to Hand it to those Bugs ...

The invisible bugs that lurk on your hands - even AFTER you've washed them
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2620528/Revealed-The-invisible-bugs-lurk-hands-AFTER-youve...

Bacteria and viruses attach themselves to our hands during everyday tasks

22 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: You've got to Hand it to those Bugs ...

Does the alcohol washes work ?Huh
Infinity
Pro

There are more germs on a £1 coin than a TOILET SEAT - but only 20% of people wash their hands after handling them
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2621500/Dirty-cash-Bank-notes-contain-26-000-bacteria...
Community Veteran

And I expect the germs are as high as kites on twenty pound notes.
Are we still allowed to say kite?
Infinity
Pro

More Bugs.....
The killers in your carpet: Millions of Britons could be at risk from pneumonia, E. Coli and salmonella from filthy rugs
Swabs from the bottom of the nation's shoes reveal bacteria in carpets and rugsbsuch as pneumonia, E. Coli and salmonella
Carpets are embedded with horse and fox manure, urine, vomit and tar
Those surveyed also admit to not washing hands after the toilet, leaving dirty sheets on beds for weeks, not showering and letting pets sleep in bed 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2724022/The-killers-carpet-Millions-Britons-risk-pneumonia...
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
Are we still allowed to say kite?

Not on this forum.  Cheesy
Infinity
Pro

Are your hands clean?
You washed them after you went to the loo, but as the experiment here reveals, you probably didn't clean them anywhere near as well as you thought.
( Present company excepted.... I hope )

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3269827/How-clean-hands-answer-revealed-unique-experiment-...

Public Toilets / Washrooms
I do like the toilets with PIR detectors, so that you don't have to touch anything to flush....
Or allow water to flow out of the taps, and even soap dispensers in some places.
However, even after washing hands, many people before haven't, and they use the door handles !!
I use little finger to open door, or hold a piece of toilet paper between hand & handle.
Amazingly enough, I do notice that Fast food outlets, which we occasionally visit, where you (they) eat with your (their) hands, the toilets are less clean, and many don't even attempt to wash their hands.
This also ties in with Keyboards & Phones used in communal workplaces / Internet Cafes !
Our Doctors' Surgery has an optional touch screen log-in monitor, I never use this.
(And no NHS anti-bug gel, despite complaining about this !)

I read somewhere else that the temperature of the Water makes little difference, it is using Soap that really matters.
And the so called antibacterial gels are pretty much useless.

Also
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,119111.0.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's the lack of exposure that's killing people, little bits here and there builds up the immune system, living in a 100% clean environment is asinine and just as big a killer as something like ebola as the immune system goes into overdrive and attacks the body aswell as whatever's gotten in...
Infinity
Pro

I also give my hands a good wash if I've been out & about, shopping or whatever, and of course always before food preparation...
And during it too.
Preparing chilled chicken for instance....
Tap running warm water....several sheets of kitchen roll,  cut off outer wrapping... wash hands with squirty soap, dry with paper kitchen roll.
Cut holding string... as above, cut excess skin off... as above, put into roasting bag...as above, put into oven... as above.
As a family, we have never had any bugs from Chicken, or anything else for that matter, the Lady that does follows this procedure too.

As for shaking hands, well you might ask !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBslXprykHA
Community Veteran

Now that is being a bit over the top, basically being OCD..... Shocked
I cooked some chicken earlier this morning (fried KFC style, home made though), ground up or measured out my seasoning into a ramekin, chicken, which was in a freezer bag as I like to buy in bulk and freeze for later, was opened up but not touched, seasoning thrown in, bag closed up and chicken massaged to spread the seasoning about, heated my oil, mixed my seasoned flour (salt, garlic and black pepper, that's the "KFC" secret), whipped out the chicken, floured and dumped in the oil, disposed of used materials, placed everything in the sink that needed washing, washed my hands, done... Cool
Never gotten ill doing things like this, never made anyone else ill, never had contaminated food, AND, never wasted half a gallon of soap... Grin
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: PlusComUK
There are more germs on a £1 coin than a TOILET SEAT - but only 20% of people wash their hands after handling them

So do you wash tour hands before going to the toilet?
I use to work in an industry were it was recommended to wash your hands before going to the toilet.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: twocvbloke
Now that is being a bit over the top, basically being OCD..... Shocked
AND, never wasted half a gallon of soap... Grin

5 squirts does not equal half a gallon of soap !!

You should see what I have to go through when visiting one of our places that manufacturers "silicon chips" and produces hardware for Scientific, Military and Space purposes !!
And what I have to wear.... whilst in the Clean Rooms
Though that is nothing to do with Bugs.... apart from Spy Bugs !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My Nurse Practitioner friend sees any folk who walks through the door of the Clinic. She rarely wears latex/nitrile gloves to touch patients, except in cases where cross contamination  is dangerous such as performing infected wound dressing. She believes that it is demeaning to the patient by avoiding the human contact. She avoids the alcohol gels to clean the bugs, but does wash her hands properly after/before each patient contact using soap and water. She has to deal with flu bugs, colds, STI's, HIV, TB, pus, faecal matter, scabies, ring worm, lice etc etc. She's never ill nor ever suffers from food poisoning. She is called on to show medical students how to wash their hands properly.
I always treat meat as infected until cooked, so wash hands before/after handling and store so raw meat cannot contaminate cooked food. We don't suffer food poisoning either.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

You should see what I have to go through when visiting one of our places that manufacturers "silicon chips" and produces hardware for Scientific, Military and Space purposes !!
And what I have to wear.... whilst in the Clean Rooms
Though that is nothing to do with Bugs.... apart from Spy Bugs !

Is it any different to what has been shown many times on TV? Cos I don't recall them dissecting chickenmeat in a cleanroom... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2621500/Dirty-cash-Bank-notes-contain-26-000-bacteria...

Yup, money is disgusting stuff alright.. for more than the biological reason alone!
Door handles, keys, cashpoint cards (germ swapping in the slot), shopping trolley handles... you name it the germs are everywhere.
Public toilet door handles are a disgrace, on the way out you always have to pull the door towards you which I think is foul. I normally grab hold of the spring lever at the top of the door and push that. Once the door is opened I stick my shoe round and stop it from closing, give it a kick to open it further and walk through. You wouldn't believe how many blokes I see in a HOSPITAL toilet walk out without washing their hands. It's a national disgrace.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!