cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You think Google was a bad boy collecting data : read on and worry

thisoldman
Grafter

You think Google was a bad boy collecting data : read on and worry

Oldjim made a post recently to the effect that google street view had been collecting details of people's paswords and emails.
Well did you know that there has been available, for some time , software whch allows anyone to copy and paste, chat, forum posts ,blogs etc etc into a  personality asessment programme, which scans the data for key words , which are likely to be of potential interest to GCHQ and the security services.
WOW      guess i am now known all over the internet as a weirdo  Wink
12 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: You think Google was a bad boy collecting data : read on and worry

but the question remain, why did Google collect any thing, they were taking Photos
thisoldman
Grafter

pierre tx for your post  a  good q uestion you have asked

Ten  years ago i well remeber the front page of the Guardian newspaper which said  "  Google is watching you"
People at the time laughed.  Are they still laughing today?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

WOW      guess i am now known all over the internet as a weirdo

well, this forum is "open" to the public.......    Roll eyes  .........so anyone can read what you put on there.......... Lips are sealed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

whats thatt old saying?
theres non so queer weird as folk
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: thisoldman
Well did you know that there has been available, for some time , software whch allows anyone to copy and paste, chat, forum posts ,blogs etc etc into a  personality asessment programme, which scans the data for key words , which are likely to be of potential interest to GCHQ and the security services.

Tell us something we didn't know!
I am far more worried by organisations like BT trialling a system which analyses everything you do on the web, especially when the system is created by a company with strong roots back in Russia. Even more alarming is that when our useless ICO and other government departments are notified about the illegal interception they do nothing. Thank God for Europe who are taking the government to task for failing to protect our privacy.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
but the question remain, why did Google collect any thing, they were taking Photos

It was apparently a mistake, someone coded some err code into the software which was supposed to only pick up mac addresses (no idea why they want that) but instead it started to store all unencrypted data sent over wi-fi, so people logging into their email over unsecured wi-fi now have all their data stored by Google who have deleted it in some places, not deleted it in others, told to delete it and then told not to delete it after they deleted it, it's rather messy really but it's all down to unsecured wi-fi.
magnetism2772
Grafter

Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Not really, they were driving (and still are) cars around various places in the world collecting various pieces on information, one of those pieces is pictures, however another is data on what wireless networks operate where which is used to enrich their location based services.
Whilst collecting the meta data about those networks, the way they did this was to listen for wireless network traffic and record it, in the same way that anyone could.  What they were after was the meta data in the traffic (SSID etc) but much as say you were listening to conversation to find out who was involved in the conversation, you would inevitably also hear *some* of the content of the conversation.
Now if the traffic was encrypted, all well and good, since the amount captured would not be sufficient to decrypt it (there just wouldn't be enough to analyse) but for those with unencrypted networks, if say at the moment the car drove past their house they logged into something, and their password was itself unencrypted then that password *might* have been seen by Google and captured.
So:
a) if your network was unencrypted
b) if you happened to login to say a website as the car passed
c) if the webpage you logged into was not encrypted
d) Google might have captured your password
Now, Google could, and probably should have discarded the information they didn't need straight away, although since thats actually harder than not discarding it, and Google has a culture of never destroying data I can see why at first they never did and why at first they wouldn't have imagined a problem with that.
But mostly, what does my head in by the whole story, is how much of a totally massively overblown story it is, in all honesty, whilst Google drove around the UK they will have collected huge quantities of information, and I'd be surprised if there were more than say a few dozen password recorded, and NONE of those would be for something like banking or indeed any service that encrypts their passwords (which is the vast majority of them) and those services that don't encrypt their passwords are either not worth protecting or you have a far more serious problem with that service and say your ISP (who routinely see all your passwords everyday) than you do with Google.
Sure, slap Google on the wrist, they need to learn there are limits to what they can claim and put into their database, but mountain out of molehill is what we have here.
Community Veteran

Google was experimenting with a car that drove itself and this was one reason they gave for wanting the info.
I'm with fourfourdevon on this  - a mountain out of a molehill.
Community Veteran

here's some details on the Google Car:
Google Car
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
a mountain out of a molehill.

As normal for thisoldman's topics then.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I think you've hit the nail on the head jelv Wink Wink