cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

An interesting solution Smiley  It was being discussed this morning on Nick Ferrari's show on LBC. Must try and catch the movie again.
techguy
Grafter

Yes very interesting.
I doubt they'll ever make a sequel though as it just would not be the same though they might make one to that naff American remake.
Thunderclap
Grafter

So here is the solution...
Now, finally, we have an answer. According to Godwin, the "great idea" would have come in three stages. First, the coach would have to be stabilised by breaking the windows that overlooked the precipice. Then the fuel tank at the rear of the vehicle would have to be emptied by running the engine. And finally, a gang member would be allowed out of the coach in order to stabilise the front end with rocks. "There're several sheets of maths here," the IT manager from Godalming admitted. "It was a good long day with a calculator. It's more than 20 years since I saw the film – I remember thinking there must be some way of getting that gold off the bus."The Gaurdian Online
Okay, one minor problem. Having broken the windows at the rear to save mass (did they have a gun?), and then running the engine of full throttle to dwell the fuel load, exactly where do the fumes from the exhaust go? Back into the bus. Furthermore, the gangster allowed out of the bus to get the rocks would probably have to be so small and light, that he'd not be able to lift the rocks. Or he'd leg it. Several sheets of maths? Only an IT Manager would bring complexity to the obvious.
Me, I'd have built a giant space 'magnet' and lift the bus into the air - like Doctor Evil would.
techguy
Grafter

Hate to put a bullet in your balloon there TC or should that be PG  Smiley but think it was based on solutions within the realms of possibility.
Maybe they just need a bribed RAF pilot with a Chinook with some sort of net.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Surely the downdraft from a Chinook would have pushed it over!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
techguy
Grafter

Yeah, true but could have got them to the other end of the bus and get them to jump off just as the chinook came in.
Sounds a bit more plausible than a space magnet or 'sky hooks'
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

At least I got to say bloody without the naughty checker censoring me!  Crazy

Thunderclap
Grafter

TechGuy, this is Movie World, so we can do anything if we put our minds to it.  My Space Magnet is on the Moon. And it picks up non-ferous metals like gold. It also picks up Essex Girls. Which is a design defect - or as we say in IT, a feature.
Cool OH BEHAVE
Surely Top Gear could come up with an answer - a solution that would involve Clarkson firing an AK47 at nuns, the Hampster dropping a ship from the sky (to prove that boats are heavier than air), and, James May making sensible comments about the price of bullion in the credit crunch. It could happen. Even on i-Player World.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Thunderclap
Okay, one minor problem. Having broken the windows at the rear to save mass...

According to
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Answer_to_Italian_Job_cliffhanger_found&in_article_id=49745...
it's the windows at the front.  Huh
Not young enough to know everything
techguy
Grafter

@TC I just felt like being a little pedantic and winding you up a little.
Grin
Thunderclap
Grafter

I can see the solution... assumes there's 140Kg of fuel in the tank?
This is rather like one of those management school real world problem solving scenarios. You know, the one where you have to cross the shark infested soup, but you're not allowed to p*ss on the fishes.
Sad Cheesy Shocked WE'RE SO PRETTY OH SO PRETTY... VACANT
I still think the magnet will work.
techguy
Grafter

Have tried several times to watch the Austin Powers movies but being a Bond fan I just cant as while I like parodies such as The Naked Gun trilogy, the Scary Movie quadrilogy and of course Airplane!) they are just too daft for me.