cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You pay and do the work

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You pay and do the work

SWMBO renewed her car insurance over the telephone and got a good discount when advising them of other more lower quotes but a week later got an e-mail to say log on to xxxx, register, go to your account and print off your certificate of insurance and other documents but why should she do this if the original policy was set up over the telephone.
Only last month a similar thing happened, booked a holiday through a travel agency and several weeks before our holiday a e-mail arrives to say log in to our website, quote the booking number and then print out your e-tickets, as we were near the travel agency we called in to say we have this e-mail but can they print our tickets out but for some reason the details were not showing on their website (or at least that's what they told us) Now it wasn't a major problem to go home and print the e-tickets off but exactly what are we paying these companies for ?
I Could understand it if we had made these bookings or done our car insurance over the internet but this was not the case and why do they assume everybody has a working printer ?
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: You pay and do the work

Self service checkouts annoy me the most.. you pay the supermarket their profit to be served and you go there late at night and you don't even get the choice of a cashier - our local ASDA tell you to use the self service. SWMBO last time told them she didn't want to use the self service as she wanted to be served. Staff told her no so she told them to scan the stuff and bag it for her themselves or she was leaving and making a complaint that the store refused to serve her.
To my sheer amazement they did.. they took her to self service, scanned and packed her things  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

Then there are those out of work that most likely would never of refused to server your O/H
Some people take being in work for granted, especially if they know they can get away with so much or so little in your case Sad
Need to send K9 to exterminate the self service checkouts Wink
Community Veteran

Nothing wrong with self service tills. I use them all the time and have done for more than ten years. They are much quicker IMO.
Fixes: 47

I love the 'scan as you shop' system at the Tesco I use.
Very quick and easy....and because it's relatively new to the store it doesn't yet get busy which means a faster check-out Smiley
I appreciate that the system means less employment for check-out staff and that I am paying Tesco to serve me and then doing it myself but it's fast and stress free.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I get wound up when I book tickets on line, get charged an admin fee and then have to print my own tickets.
Fixes: 124

I'd rather print my own ticket and/or boarding pass than spend longer in a queue at the airport.
Never had to print cinema tickets as the machine always does then once I've entered my credit card.
I've never yet used the 'scan as you shop' in Tesco, then again, SWMBO manages quite well on her own Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Nothing wrong with self service tills. I use them all the time and have done for more than ten years. They are much quicker IMO.

I agree with this despite disliking them myself. If you've only got a few things they are much more convenient however when you have a trolley full of stuff then they're not practical. Staff who then refuse to assist are taking the micky. You pay to have service however the supermarkets seem to think they can have their profits and have the customer do the work. Great for company profits but not good for the customer.
Considering that you're always pro supermarkets-creating-low-paid-jobs artmo, I'm rather shocked that you favour machines over human service. Our local ASDA has seen a lot of staff disappear since the introduction of the self service checkouts.
Now.. I can't help but wonder.. whats best? Jobs or machines..  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I prefer shops where I'm served by the business owner.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

They still exist?  Shocked
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up

Now.. I can't help but wonder.. whats best? Jobs or machines..  Undecided

Machines are certainly cheaper which is reflected in the price of the product Wink
TORPC
Grafter

It is all about cooperate greed, & the golf course syndrome Sad
Fixes: 124

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I prefer shops where I'm served by the business owner.

Trouble is they cannot compete on price with the buying power of the supermarkets and when you are on a fixed income one needs to watch the pennies Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

........and the self service tills help to keep the pennies down Wink
TORPC
Grafter

@Artmo
How do you work that out as your shopping does not get discounted just because you use a self service till