Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You online Data safe ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

You online Data safe ?

with Cambridge Analytica in the news recently , are you concerned about what else is being harvested  ?

I know at the moment it concentrates on Facebook data , but there are others who collect your data Google , Utube and several web pages most are registered to , and not to forget even your ISP collects data Undecided

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
30 REPLIES
jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

Re: You online Data safe ?

To be honest @rongtw, considering the amount of data out there, and the few (in my case, so far as I know, once, that an email address has been compromised), I am not worried.

I don't use FB, Twitter &c for communication although I do have accounts with both (with absolute minimum data entered), so TBH, I'm not bothered.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

This, is one of the reasons I have no interest in using this service or their like, another is the fact that I'm not really interested in other peoples lives and I have much better things to do with my time.

jab1
All Star

Agreed, @Mook My FB account is so I can 'follow' two people, but I never post on either account, my TW is for picking up transport information, and again I never post.

John
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Just crazy how we have all shared data in what was for many the new world of social media and so much else and yes, I'm as guilty as anybody. At my age and on a personal level I have little issue with it now but for the youngsters, they need to be aware that all they have shared will be available and 'out there' for the rest of their lives. A sort of technical tattoo if you like.

PS. I downloaded all my details and permanently closed (not suspended) my fb account well over a year ago. It was amazing what details they had about myself and my contacts, but just as worrying I guess is what the did not tell or allow me to download.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@jab1 wrote:

I don't use FB, Twitter &c for communication although I do have accounts with both (with absolute minimum data entered), so TBH, I'm not bothered.

Same here. I have accounts and do use them but I enter the minimal info - even the name i use is a pseudonym.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Yes but what you have to think , its not just FB or Twits , Your browser collects data , windows collects data Even this forum collects your data .

Ok it may be minimal but at what point who decides who has access ? and what is there to prevent access , look at Talk talk data breach

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Yes but it isn't personal data that most websites collect unless you supply it.

Things like your ip address, ISP, time of day etc.. .well everyone online has that. ISPs are going to store most of it to cover their own backs and governments will always authorise themselves to that data as they want it.

It's services where you voluntarily provide information that you need to be careful about. I provide very little to them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

All the major parties have agreed to the exemption from new data protection laws, arguing it clarifies their widely recognised right to canvas voters in order to target possible supporters. ?

So parliament has voted itself EXEMPT from the LAW Huh

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cambridge-analytica-uk-party-personal-voter-data-face...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

“So if you’re worried about this harvesting of data, you should also be worried about the ways in which third parties are tracking and profiling you. These companies, that you aren’t even aware of, hold vast amounts of very personal, very intimate information about you.”

Fixes: 171

I don't have a FB (closed it in 2011 after having it for a few months) or Twitface account. I don't post irate rantings or more personal information online other than sites like gov.uk, banks, utilities and so forth where there is no choice.

Any forums I am a member of do not hold personal.details. Thinking of changing my name on them to Sue DonymCheesy

When I'm dead it won't matter so, until then, can't see the point of worrying about it.

Even before the age of everything being computerised and data held online there were times information was wrong. I had two such cases with the DSS and NHS both of which were a hassle to correct and in the case of the NHS only involved paper records.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

It's been recently reported that the police have asked Google to report details of smart phones that were sited within the locality of an incident. It was alleged this helps the police identify potential witnesses. Given how Google asks me to review shops, restaurants and tourist attractions I've paused at or nearby the capability track people is used. It's probably behind the USA requirement that all mobile phones have active GPS capability built into them.

I occasionally send my smartphone on "holiday" with other people to help build up its "air miles", meanwhile I use my dumb mobile for general usage. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mav

'When I'm dead it won't matter......'

True, but only up to a point. With fb they have been able to obtain information about family and friends, so it affects them after we have long gone from our keyboards and touch screens. 

What else we have inadvertently (and in many cases unknowingly) made available in the tangled world of web information, we should all shudder to think.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
jab1
All Star

@Minivanman In my case, that is not a problem - I never have and never will put any information about other members of my family or friends on the likes of FB or Twitter.

John
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@jab1

You don't have to, they obtain information from the friends and family you have in many cases tracked from the 'likes' and comments you have made. You must have done that surely, otherwise what was the point of fb.

It's not about information you provide rather the links you have as said, inadvertently provided. Our Netflix choices, store loyalty cards, those cookies and even our location for heavens sake all monitored and all shared permission granted or not. 

This is not the first time myself and others have expressed worries about these guys either, but it's all been water off a ducks even to the point of feeling just a bit daft. Crazy2