cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You know it's the end of lockdown when...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

You know it's the end of lockdown when...

In my case when you see your first caravan of the year!

No cars of course, no caravans and no campervans, and now out they come.

As well as a newish car my little bro' bought his first campervan just over four months ago and only got the chance to use it the one time so as you can imagine he was not a happy bunny at being 20k down and nowhere to go - and even if he could the ports were closed and the travel tunnel cancelled his bookings.

Beep beep.

Back to road clogging normal.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
7 REPLIES 7
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: You know it's the end of lockdown when...

For years, I hated those "shed draggers" .... always "in the way" ... and never ever pull in to a layby to let others pass them...

Then.. one year, my missus persuaded us to buy one.... I was against the idea.... had never towed anything in my life... but had to concede just for peace !... the idea was to take the young grandchildren away for hols... which.. was OK.. and for them great fun... First trip was down to Cornwall... hated every mile of that journey.... hated it when I had to "pitch it up".. set it out, and then the holiday began.... yeah.. it was ok... different.. but.. on the last day .... it chucked it down.. who was the one to have to pull down the awning... fold it away.. clear the site up. get it all ready... ??  yeah.. me...hated every minute of it... got soaking wet....   changed clothes, got on the way home... hated every mile of that journey... particularly cos the missus wanted to "stop off somewhere.... " ( real reason... for a break/cup of tea in a cafe, and shopping.. ) she had already bought loads of stuff.. and packed it in the shed... and we had to go into a car park on a hill, that was a left turn from a set of traffic lights in the centre of the town... yeah.. you got it.... traffic lights changed to red.. just as I was about to turn... so lost my forward momentum... stalled it three times, and the traffic lights changed to red again... next time it was green, managed to get the left turn done... and into the car park.... but could not find anywhers to park up... and had to unhitch the shed, to turn it round, as there was not enough room in the "aisles" to do a turn,... and... I had never reversed a shed before...  got some help from other drivers to pull and push it round...  connected up.. and left that town behind.... hated every moment.... and hated every mile on the way home...

We did three more hols, like that...but eventually, because of my moaning... we sold it ... managed to make a profit on it though... ! 

Yeah... I hate shed draggers... !  Cheesy

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Much easier just getting a motorhome, that way no towing is involved, only downside is you look a bit daft using it as a daily-driver if you're not living in it permanently and can't afford/be bothered with a main car... 😂

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

They don't really cater for caravans and such in the UK, you really need to go overseas for that - and preferably in a motor home? 

Edit: Just seen your posr @twocvbloke 

Takes all sorts and you either love 'em or hate 'em especially those caravans which amazingly have now found a new partner with those 4x4's that seemed to have had no real purpose as far as I could tell. 

I see the Spectator is telling it's readers that Wales is open for such things.

Nooo! 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd rather have a motorhome myself, but a self-conversion rather than a generic factory-made tupperware box type, been watching a so-called "Van-lifer" on youtube who's been living in her own self-converted transit van (and is currently working on fitting out a newer van as the transit was being a ford), and seeing the customisation people do with their little home on wheels is pretty cool... 😁

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Motorhome ?  Huh.... horse boxes without the horse....

just as cumbersome..... just as difficult to pass on single track roads ( i.e. two vehicle width no pavement).

just as ignorant of other road users stacked up behind them... won`t pull in to let them get on their way..

most inconvenient, when you arrive at your site....  get the excess gear out... table chairs, awning up. etc... then realise you haven`t got any bread and milk... have to put it all away. and find somewhere to park up to get the shopping ..

and the same again, next morning, when you want to go exploring those lovely winding country lanes that lead to the sheltered beach under the cliffs....  got to pack it all up.. like an overgrown snail.... carrying your house on your back.... cause mayhem on the narrow access lanes, expecting everyone to get out of their way, or back up... cos they are the bigger vehicle...

Nah... hate them as much as shed draggers.. 

madswitcher
Aspiring Pro

Cue the Top Gear cliche of a large over-loaded caravan being towed by a vastly under-powered small Volvo 😁

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I heard someone talk about these today.  Great for crossing rivers you might come across on your hike in the mountains and popular in New Zealand apparently.