cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have your nice biometric ID card - but we can't read it

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: You have your nice biometric ID card - but we can't read it

I must stress I haven't seen the new style passports.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_G
At risk of labouring the point, how useful would a machine-readable passport device be in a country where they can't even afford conveyors for your luggage, and there is only one computer for all the check in desks, and you have to wait an interminable amount of time for them to print your flight vouchers?

I have been to that airport too!
Quote from: Alex
I know .. mine expires in 3 years time.
Dread to think how much one will cost then .. I'd better start saving for my next one now.

It's worse than that for me because I have two passports Sad
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
I must stress I haven't seen the new style passports.

There is little discernable difference.
The main noticeable difference is that your photo and details are no longer laminated inside the back cover, now they are on the final page within your passport. (The lamination used to fail as well used passports got older, which raised worries about whether it was evidence of tampering or not.)
Other than that, appearance-wise, they look the same.
Quote from: Santiago
I have been to that airport too!

There are lots of them about apparently, but the last one I visited was Zanzibar Airport. Fairly primitive, but not as bad as some.
Quite funny though that you check your bag in, and the chap on the check-in desk just throws it on the ground behind him, then you clear initial boarding card check, and are allowed behind the desk to collect your bag yourself, and carry it to the X-Ray machine.
Oh yeah, and the check-in desks are literally right next to the pavement - ie, you queue to check in across the pavement and out onto the road.
Notice the old-style analog weighing scales at the check-in desk - no conveyors to hide fancy electronic weighment platforms in.
If you do some googling, you may well discover that the official zanzibar airport website has an interesting selection of images, none which show the reality of travelling via the airport.

And a couple more pics here http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Ca0ESdiK8Tk/RwQdxHMltSI/AAAAAAAACho/x...
(Not mine)