cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have to Smile

Fixes: 47

You have to Smile

I've just been reading a reader's letter in the latest edition of my PC magazine.
A gentleman is complaining about his  broadband speed or lack of it.
It's the old chestnut of I'm not getting what I pay for.
He goes on to tell when he fills up his car with diesel he gets what he pays for.
He fails to point out the fact that the filling station is NOT selling diesel at £1.30 for up to 1 litre. If it did it would probably notice a steady reduction in custom.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: You have to Smile

And really what does he need that speed for?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

This once again highlights the problems ISPs have. Exaggerate the truth and gain market share or be honest and risk putting off potential customers.
With tangible commodities like fuel the unit measure is carefully regulated by law and is not affected by the size and quality of the pipework between storage tank and nozzle.  Each customer has a direct uncontested connection to the aforementioned tank. 
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and the moderators regularly come in and check  - Ask Hulls he will do it for you
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Actually the fuel filling isn't too bad of an analagy for a Pay As You Go type of Broadband.  The amount of fuel you get is accuarate and at a fixed price (like a Gb of data), but the speed with which it is delivered is effected by other conditions such as the size of the pipe between the pump and the storage tank, how powerful the pump is, and how many other pumps are using fuel from the same pipe line as yours.  There is one petrol station not too far from me which the pump slows down a lot if someone else on the other side of the pump starts filling up with the same type of fuel.
Phil
Community Veteran

I agree with pjmarsh.  The speed analogy is more akin to how fast the fuel gets into the tank. (and at least it's possible to pay for a part of a litre).
And you don't get the problems that garages have of fuel going into the ground warm, and losing volume, as it sits in the tank!  Wink
John