cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have just changed your password - PayPal

Fixes: 125

You have just changed your password - PayPal

I think the spammers/phishers may be jumping on the back of the recent eBay password issue as I have just received the following email:
Dear customer,
You just changed your password.
If you didn’t make this change, we advise you to click here.
Just a reminder:
• Never share your password with anyone.
• Create passwords that are hard to guess and don’t use personal information. Include uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols.
• Use different passwords for each of your online accounts.
Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Tell-tale signs: Addressed to 'Dear customer', the email was sent to an address not used for PayPal and the link doesn't go to PayPal.
Be aware!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: You have just changed your password - PayPal

It could be very helpful if you notified Paypal of this email. They possibly know of its existence but to send it again won't do any harm.
Fixes: 125

Already sent to spoof@paypal.com Smiley
Edit:
I have started to wonder whether it is really worth sending these on...
Originally I used to forward the emails with a brief explanation as to why I felt they were phishing. After a short while I'd get a reply staring off
Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By reporting the problem, you've made a difference!

Today I just forwarded the email with no message and got the same reply within seconds. Just curious now as to whether they simply go down a big black hole at PayPal or someone really does investigate.

Edit 2:  Can a mod look at the code for italics. I can't see an error yet the italics end before the quote starts and not after the last sentence where I actually placed the end italic code. Thanks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Just got this email from ebay (Devin Wenig President eBay Marketplaces)  which starts.
IMPORTANT: PASSWORD UPDATE
Dear eBay Member,
To help ensure customers' trust and security on eBay, I am asking all eBay users to change their passwords.

Now I think they dropped the ball a bit with this letter as at first glance I thought it was a "Dear eBay Member," (no name) fake. But there at the bottom of the long email in a small font is my ebay id and name.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

They (ebay) have a LARGE banner on the front page saying change your password.
However the suggestion bar is quite poor. See HERE
So mypassw0rd is fine but T34uUinG) isn't  Crazy