cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You did want the Ask.com addon with your Symantec Security Package - didn't you

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

You did want the Ask.com addon with your Symantec Security Package - didn't you

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090203/ap_on_hi_te/apfn_tec_techbit_ask_symantec
SAN FRANCISCO - Ask.com is counting on people's fear of online mischief to bring more traffic to its Internet search engine.
To give Web surfers greater peace of mind, Ask has forged a deal that will plant its search engine on Norton security software made by Symantec Corp. The latest test version of Norton 360 will rate the security threat posed by sites found through searches done through the new toolbar.
Financial details about the two-year deal aren't being disclosed.
6 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: You did want the Ask.com addon with your Symantec Security Package - didn't you

Really wish software wouldn't bundle toolbars as its very annoying
Only one toolbar worth having in my opinion and that's the Netcraft Toolbar http://toolbar.netcraft.com as it queries the appropriate Internet Registry to determine who the IP address of the site you are accessing is registered to (provided of course a meaningful entry has been placed in RIPE or any of the other registries and gives you a risk rating based on whether its reported as a phishing site or the host has got a bit of a reputation for hosting such sites.
Community Veteran

Re: You did want the Ask.com addon with your Symantec Security Package - didn't you

More crap
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quite naughty all those toolbar bundling agreements.
Like all those applications that will ofter to install say the Google toolbar to be 'helpful'.
Of course, it's not trying to get all your searches (and therefore revenue) to go through them Roll eyes
techguy
Grafter

I don't have any toolbars installed apart from that as those kind of things interest me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Me neither, but that one looks interesting.
I'll have to give it a go!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and from further down the article
Through December, Ask remained in fourth place in the U.S. search market with a roughly 4 percent share, according to comScore Inc. Google dominated the market with a share of about 63 percent, followed by Yahoo Inc. at 17 percent and Microsoft Corp. at 11 percent.

The troubleshooting isn't always accurate, as Google recently demonstrated. A glitch last Saturday caused Google to sound an alarm about every site that turned up in the results of searches conducted for nearly an hour. Google blamed the problem on a botched update of a list flagging suspicious sites.