Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You couldn't make this one up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

You couldn't make this one up

screenshot_778

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: You couldn't make this one up

Maybe she's just biased to wards cash because her name is on the notes... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

She sounds sensible.

Already has her foot on the next rung.

Champnet
Aspiring Pro

It’s her personal preference, I’m yet to be convinced.....

Community Veteran

I've found my Cashplus contactless card handy, mostly cos I haven't fully memorised the PIN number yet, still concerned about being skimmed by someone (or whatever it is they do), but, so far it's survived...

Jonpe
All Star
Fixes: 4

The instructions say you have to use your PIN the first time (and will be requested occasionally thereafter); does that mean that when you touch the card on the device it will ask you to key in your PIN, or does it mean that if you have used your card the traditional way at least once the contactless function is activated?

I don't like the idea of not identifying myself as the legal account holder, and a thief can make a lot of £30 purchases before a card gets reported missing and is blocked.

Community Veteran

I had to use my PIN on my Cashplus card to enable the contactless stuff the first time I used it, as before the card reader would just reject the card, afterwards, just wave it over the reader and everything is paid for...

I do think that they should ask for the PIN when using contactless debit or credit cards, just for that added layer of security...

Jonpe
All Star

What I really want to know is whether the card can be used for a contactless transaction after it's been used by inserting it into the machine and keying in your PIN, or does it have to be used as a contactless card with the PIN once.  To put it simply, I've used my card but not for a contactless purchase; if it is stolen, will the thief be able to use it without a PIN?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

@Jonpe, as far as I'm aware it is just used with Chip and Pin once before contactless works.  I've never been asked for a pin when using contactless.  I've fairly recently had 2 new cards (due to old ones expiring), and with both of them I tried to use them contactlessly first and the transaction failed.  I used them as chip and pin and then contactless worked fine after that.

The only other time I've had a contactless payment fail was one day when I was using it a lot over a few hours.  One of the transactions failed and I needed to use chip and pin, then contactless worked again.  I'm guessing that was due to the measures mentioned above to combat someone stealing the card and making lots of individual purchases on it.

Community Veteran

I read somewhere that if you make mutliple contactless payments in sucession (without using chip and pin), then it will eventually ask you for your PIN - not sure what the limit is, sure I read it was 5 or something else that.

Also for a new card you can't use contactless until you have used Chip and Pin at least once. Presumably that is to stop cards being used by someone who isn't the card holder.

Fixes: 172

there is some limit set by each bank that will require you to make a pin entry after you've made that number of transactions.

it doesn't apply to Apple pay (and I assume android google wallet pay whatever it's called today) as they require a biometric authorisation each time.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Fixes: 183

In 3 years of using contactless over 4 different banks cards I have never been asked to enter the PIN.

Could this be that each card is also used with Chip and PIN regularly?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
All Star

I think the banks' software is quite sophisticated so it can spot atypical spending patterns.  If you use your card to buy a cup of coffee, then a newspaper, then a ticket it might be queried the first time but not thereafter.  And in the extreme cases where your card is used in London, then in Singapore an hour later, the bank will spot it.

From your comments it would appear that although I've never made a contactless purchase, a thief could still get some value out of my card if stolen.