cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You cannot be serious ? ? ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You cannot be serious ? ? ?

EDF energy, has just sent me an email special offer......
Subject: - Get £30 off your smart thermostat. Limited availability. Don’t miss out.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Find your comfort zone with HeatSmart®
Winter's on its way. Want a cosy home without wasting energy when you're not around?
Get HeatSmart®.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
sounds like a good thing... but read on.....
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Hurry and get your £30 off special offer!
For a limited time only, were offering HeatSmart® at a discounted rate of £169
. That's £30 off the recommended retail price of £199 and includes a professional install by a qualified electrician.
So now you can turn cold winter nights in to warm ones - for less

Tell me more
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************
It's the heating control you need

HeatSmart® gives you better control of your home comfort by setting a programme that mirrors your lifestyle.
This way, you'll always have a warm home whenever you want it - just in time for winter.

With HeatSmart® you get:
Better control of the comfort in your home
The ability to set your temperature remotely
Reassurance you'll never have to waste energy if you're out

Get HeatSmart®

All this for £169:
Professional installation by Help-Link.co.uk
Netatmo Thermostat designed by Starck
Exclusive two-year product + one-year installation warranty

Tell me more

Get comfy with HeatSmart®
HeatSmart® lets you control the heating in your home via a smartphone, tablet or PC - from your bed or the other side of the world.
It means you can stop wasting energy when out and about this winter.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Erm... no thanks... I`ll save a lot more than that by turning off the heating before I go out... or better still... just turn it on, when / if I need it... 
That has really got to be the daftest promotional email, supposedly designed to save me money on my energy bill.... ... and If ... just by chance... I happened to be "the other side of the world"... I would not need to controld the heating in my home.... it would be switched off ! ...  DOH !...
And before someone says, wouldn`t it be good to turn on the heating an hour before you got home from Australia or wherever the other side of the world is...    NO... because that would be ONE of the first things I did on entering my home AFTER putting on the kettle, and the place would be warmed up, by the time the cases were unpacked, and a pot of tea had been drunk ! ! !...

13 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: You cannot be serious ? ? ?

I'm a gadget fan but a 'smart thermostat' is one item I have reviewed and dismissed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have Lightwaverf kit which has a WiFi link which is a programmer which I use to control my lighting. It has the functionality  to control relays, receive signals from thermostats and control radiator valves as well. And I can control everything from my smartphone.
I was thinking of a project to replace my central heating controller with something based on my Lightwaverf  kit but the available heating controllers don't seem to have changed much in the last twenty years. Any ideas?
Or maybe I'll just arrange for remote closing of the curtains  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You can now get Lightwave RF heating control - Remote controlled TRVs and a boiler control switch.  The reviews aren't great and someone at work has got the setup and found the software to have been buggy (now improved).
Coincidentally, I recently ordered a Heat Genius kit and it arrived today.  Not a good first impression as the controller (Raspberry Pi and a Z Wave board) isn't booting!  Like the Lightwave RF setup, this uses remote controlled TRVs to enable rooms to be zoned and control their own heat demand.  When (if?) it's working I'll respond with initial thoughts - I'm not expecting massive differences in my gas bill (it isn't huge anyway) but I'm hoping for better control than my existing room stat gives me and the opportunity to not heat bedrooms etc during the day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: PeterLoftus

I was thinking of a project to replace my central heating controller with something ................................. but the available heating controllers don't seem to have changed much in the last twenty years.
Any ideas?
Or maybe I'll just arrange for remote closing of the curtains  Cheesy

You should be careful of what you put on this forum... your misssus  ( central heating controller   Shocked ) may be reading it .....  ! !      Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Our thermostat is already smart, it turns the heating on when it's cold, and turns it off when it's warm... Grin
I will say it's also a wireless one, with day & time programming to keep the house from becoming a condensated-up damp mouldy squalor, though even then the heat settings are 16.5 at minimum (during the night) and at most 18.5 during the day, and being a wireless 'stat its kept in the most convenient location, about 7 feet from the boiler... Grin
CX
Grafter

I've looked into a couple of "smart" thermostats over the past couple of years, but decided that they don't offer anything over the significantly cheaper (around £60) programmable Honeywell that I already have. It just takes a bit more effort.
Nest and the like will certainly never save enough money to ever recoup the potential cost savings, because you can already achieve the same thing with the 7-day/4 time/day Honeywell. Maybe a different story if you only have a 24 hour timer on the boiler and up/down thermostat in the house, but I'm still not convinced that they're worth it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: twocvbloke
Our thermostat is already smart, it turns the heating on when it's cold, and turns it off when it's warm... Grin
I will say it's also a wireless one, with day & time programming to keep the house from becoming a condensated-up damp mouldy squalor, though even then the heat settings are 16.5 at minimum (during the night) and at most 18.5 during the day, and being a wireless 'stat its kept in the most convenient location, about 7 feet from the boiler... Grin

Interesting figures, I guess as you get older the tempature gets higher, during the day ours is never below 20
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

all I wanted 5 years ago was the ability to see the temperature in different rooms of the house because 20degrees downstairs translated to 27 degrees on the top floor, or if a door was shut it meant the top floor rooms were closer to 10degrees yet the downstairs was still around 20, now I have some health problems so I don't like the temperature below 20 during the day, at night I just set the system to keep the temperature no lower than 15 (so there is less gas used to heat it up before I get out of bed in the mornings)
such systems would apparently have cost the landlord over £200, I managed to get a set of wireless temp probes with a 30 minute sampling rate and a zone view panel for under £50, however getting something that could control the flow to the various radiators would of cost over £500 because of the cost of having them fitted (because they used speed fit tubes all over the house and everything is designed for a standard copper pipe fitting) so I gave up and bought 2 ceramic heating units for the top floor and keep the door closed so the heat doesn't travel up there all day /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

A wire fuse is a smart device. It is configured to break an electric circuit when the current flow exceeds a pre-set value Wink
My room stat is set to 19.5 during the day and if I feel a little chilly I put a jumper on.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Interesting figures, I guess as you get older the tempature gets higher, during the day ours is never below 20

I'm fat, so, plenty built-in insulation, plus I'm a northerner, it's always cold up here...  Grin
Community Veteran

I'm fat

With a 2CV?
I'm fairly lightweight but the last time I drove a 2CV the thing that took a bit of getting used to was the lean on bends.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
With a 2CV?

No, just fat, not had the money to ever be able to afford a 2CV, started to work on one for restoration, but that turned out to be the turd of an owner just wanting someone to strip it so he could scrap it more easily... Roll eyes
But they are famous for cornering on your elbows... Cheesy
Community Veteran

But they are famous for cornering on your elbows... Cheesy

They easily out lean even a Reliant Robin
But at least they remain upright.