cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You Tube - Adverts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You Tube - Adverts

Recently, You Tube seems to be pushing adverts on just about every music video I click on.... some of the more obnoxious ones have to run full length before the chosen video starts to play... however some have a 5 second countdown, which I always click on to eliminate the advert....
I wonder if Youtube are monitoring those eliminations, and also how many others are doing the same thing. which would show them that nobody watches them...!.. however, they will probably persist with the system that runs the full advert before playing...
another annoying "feature" is all those boxed messages that need clicking on to remove them.... sometimes up to 7 or 8 have been on screen before it is clear to watch the video...
anyone else disatisfied with that? or am I alone ?
8 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Re: You Tube - Adverts

Hi Shutter
I have not seen an advert on Youtube for years, i use the Adblock Plus add on, in my browsers. you can then use YT and most other sites advert free Smiley
Kind Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that.... have just installed it, on my firefox browser.... checked a couple of vids and seems to have done the trick.... now I can enjoy the music, and the girls !...
Wink
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Very welcome Shutter Smiley
Mike
Community Veteran

Hmm.... still getting those irritating message boxes which need clicking on the X to remove.....  Huh
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Maybe try Ghostery  ?
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Shutter the message boxes.  Click the nut icon on the video player , third from the right and disable annotations.  You will have to do that with each video that uses them, as the uploader has put them there
edit: ok you can disable them completely, never noticed the option before.
Click your username top right
Click youtube settings
Then playback
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

@Shutter, I've also noticed the increase in adverts on You Tube recently. It's very annoying especially when it's the ad you can't stop until it's finished.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the tip about Ghostrey.... actually thought I had that ... but checking the tool bar it wasn`t there... so have just installed it again !..
Thanks for the tips, Gus.. will have a look at that next time I`m on there..
@artmo... yes  indeedy... but Adblock Plus has definitely dealt with them... I don`t get them now...
Thanks to all for the help... again !... Smiley