cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You Have No Privacy On Mobile Devices. Get Used To It.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="Business Technology Law Blog"]
By Bradley Gross
Sunday 12th June 2011
If I told you that Google kept track of your location, your phone number and your voice, would you be surprised?  Outraged? 
Now how would you feel if I told you that you gave Google permission to receive and store this information?  News flash: you probably have given Google permission to get this information, and more...
Here's a message to mobile device users (and by "mobile device", I mean Droids, iPads, iPhones, and virtually any other "smartphone" device):  on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "no privacy" and 10 being "total privacy", your privacy rights land around "3".  You need to get used to that, because that's the way it's going to be--until you start reading (and understanding) those long "terms and conditions" agreements that you keep accepting. 
And now, yet another lawsuit involving privacy and mobile devices has been filed, this time against Google.  The latest litigation, which was filed on May 10 in the Middle District of Florida, alleges violations by Google of federal and state anti-hacking, wiretapping, privacy and consumer protection laws, as well as claims of invasion of privacy.
It's more of the same type of stuff that we saw in the litigation filed against Apple last month: allegations that Google's Android operating system tracks users' positions without their knowledge, cross-references user information with other information to upsell products and services to those users, blah, blah, blah.
Here's the thing: if you're shocked and surprised that Google (or Apple, for that matter) is using your location-based information to upsell you products and services, then you clearly haven't read Google's (or Apple's) terms of service.  Or its privacy policies.
Now, I know why you haven't read those policies: they're long and convoluted.  (Case in point: I recently "agreed" to Apple's latest terms of service for iTunes.  It was 67 screen pages long on my iPad device and, I confess, I didn't read it either.)
But the fact of the matter is that when you click "I agree" to those long and convoluted policies, you agree to allow Google (or Apple, as the case may be) to use your information in all sorts of ways.  If you don't like it, then don't click "I agree" and don't use the service.  But you and I both know that you want to use the service, and eventually you're going to click "I agree".  That's reality.. 
So, let's re-visit my original question: what if I told you that you have already given Google permission to record your location, telephone number and voice?  Here are some actual provisions from Google's privacy policy, and what they mean to you:
[Policy]: "Sometimes, we record your phone number. We record your phone number when you send it to us; ask us to remember it; or make a call or send a text message or SMS to or from Google."
[What It Means To You]: If you use any Google-based service that requests your phone number, then Google stores that information.  Note: on Droid phones, text messages ARE considered to be a Google-based service, so your telephone number is recorded.
[Policy] "We collect some information on device-level events, such as crashes, and associate that temporarily with your Google Account in order to provide customer service. Most of the other information we collect for mobile, such as your device and hardware IDs and device type, the request type, your carrier, your carrier user ID, the content of your request, and basic usage stats about your device and use of Google's products and services does not by itself identify you to Google, though it may be unique or consist of or contain information that you consider personal. However, if you use an Android-powered device, Google will associate your device id with your Google Account in order to provide services, such as sync functionality for your Google email and contacts."
[What It Means To You]:  If your device crashes, or some other event (such as system updates or other "device level" activity) occurs, then Google collects all kinds of information about your device, and associates that information with your Google account.  Google then uses that information to upsell products and services to you related to the type of "device-level" activity that occurred.
[Policy]: "If you use location-enabled products and services, such as Google Maps for mobile, you may be sending us location information. This information may reveal your actual location, such as GPS data, or it may not, such as when you submit a partial address to look at a map of the area."
[What It Means To You]:  If you use Google Maps, then Google knows where you are, and where you're going.
[Policy]:  "For products and services with voice recognition capabilities, we collect and store a copy of the voice input you make to the product or service and corrections you make to the returned recognition result."
[What It Means To You]:  Google records (and keeps a copy of) your voice.
The bottom line is this: Google has your location.  And your phone number.  And your voice.  If you don't like it, don't use Google's services.  You don't need a lawsuit or a judge to tell you that.  You just need to read.

That is why I will not have a iPhone or Android Phone or Windos 7 mobile Phone, if you have one the best place for it is in the Bin!
42 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: You Have No Privacy On Mobile Devices. Get Used To It.

MEH I use my android mobile all the time, I don't use google services unless I want to, Its the same with everything these days ( give away your privacy rights to use their services), Fine by me as long as they don't have my bank details ( which they don't )
Also when not needing web on the phone turn GPRS OFF and use your home Internet Instead, Its cheaper.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

If that is a Android Phone you automatically give your data to Google, so Google will have your bank details, plus wen you reconnect to the Phone network your Phone automatically passis your home wifi to Google.
Still want to keep your Android Phone ?
Wake up and smell the coffee.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I know already, How does google have my bank details? And It Is an Android phone as I said In my last post.
Community Veteran

I use the new Samsung galaxy S2 which is an android phone.  I have not given my bank details to Google - as far as I know Undecided
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
If that is a Android Phone you automatically give your data to Google, so Google will have your bank details, .

Complete scaremongering garbage as usual. Come on give us some hard evidence rather than some rubbish you've read somewhere else but haven't the intelligence to understand.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Samsung Galaxy Apollo Is what I use. I know that Google collects Info but I would like Gary to tell me why using an Android mobile gives Google my bank account details?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

If you use a Android mobile Phone to do Online Bancking the Phone sends the info to Google, or if you login to say PlusNet's web mail that will be sent to Google.  Is that clear enough ?
Fixes: 125

But the banking sites are encrypted (https) so surely that data cannot be seen?
adie:quote

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

If you use a Android mobile Phone to do Online Bancking the Phone sends the info to Google, or if you login to say PlusNet's web mail that will be sent to Google.  Is that clear enough ?
My bold and HTTPS? I don't do banking on my mobile or go to Plusnets webmail ( Never used Plusnets webmail anyway ) So scratch that So far......... Crazy
Also If has a thousand meanings, Can you be more clearer please Gary?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Mav, The banck site may be encrypted, but you are decrypting it on your Phone what is sent to Google.
MrC
Grafter

If you use a Android mobile Phone to do Online Bancking the Phone sends the info to Google, or if you login to say PlusNet's web mail that will be sent to Google.  Is that clear enough ?

Look you can believe in this as much as you like but there's nothing in your OP that even mentions this, let alone proves it. Give us some hard evidence not what some other clown came up with. Otherwise everything you say is scaremongering hot air as usual.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Is this what "scaremongering hot air" looks like ?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Grin @purleigh
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
Is this what "scaremongering hot air" looks like ?

Probably Grin