cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You Can Alway's Count On The Navy

Steve
Pro

You Can Alway's Count On The Navy

Three Royal Navy ships are being deployed to help bring stranded Britons home as UK airspace remains restricted.
The UK's emergency committee Cobra discussed options to address the travel chaos caused by a volcanic ash cloud and will hold another meeting later.
The three ships are heading for Spain and unspecified Channel ports.
Air traffic control service Nats has extended flight restrictions to 0100 BST Tuesday, but ministers are hopeful airspace may reopen later that day.
Transport Secretary Lord Adonis said Met Office reports of a "dramatic reduction in volcanic activity on Monday morning" meant it might be possible to open airspace on Tuesday if the reduction was sustained.
"If it's possible to start opening airports tomorrow, contingency plans are being put in place to get as many people through those airports as fast as possible," he told BBC News.
Planes were first grounded in the UK at midday on Thursday amid fears particles in the ash cloud from Eyjafjallajoekull could cause engines to shut down
13 REPLIES
WildRose52
Grafter

Re: You Can Alway's Count On The Navy

The Navy would certainly bring relief to those stranded in Spain at least.
Not alot of consolation for this fellow though :

Volcanic ash cloud: Tony Blair stranded in Israel
Tony Blair role in the election campaign looks likely to be affected by the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7605293/Volcanic-ash-cloud-Tony-Blair-stranded-in-Israe...

There`s so many different views about opening up the air space, I dont really think anyone truly knows for certain,
but when lives are at stake both above and on the ground - then always best to err caution.
Below is a video from RiaNovosti Russia :-
Why volcanic ash could destroy aircraft engine
http://en.rian.ru/video/20100419/158652118.html
and :
BRUSSELS — Several NATO F-16 fighters suffered engine damage after flying through the volcanic ash
cloud covering large parts of Europe, a senior Western diplomat said.
The official declined to provide more details on the military flights, except to say that glasslike deposits
were found inside the planes' engines after they patroled over European airspace.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/19/volcano-ash-clouds-jet-da_n_542478.html

Best to play safe and send in the Royal Navy imho.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The French have already stopped one well intentioned "Dunkirk spirit" rescue. Should be interesting to see them mix it with a carrier full of stalwart matelots.
However, this should have been organised days ago.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
WildRose52
Grafter

I read about that guy in France - it seemed silly them stopping him & his friends
from helping out.
They did allow him to do one sailing and I think something like 25 ppl got home
as a result of his kindness.
I cant help but wonder whether this will now make ppl think twice before going abroad
this year?    Scientists seem to think that even if the eruption stops it could start
up again.      It would certainly be enough to put me off.
Trouble is, and with so many holidays booked, then ppl are probably not going to get
a refund on the grounds of not wanting to travel.
This is just the beginning, warn scientists
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/earth-environment/article7100906.ece

The other thing I was thinking of earlier was how many ppl will have put their pets in
kennels.  Certainly not cheap, and every day they`re away will be costing them more.
The Navy is sounding more and more like a good idea.
Should be quite an experience, whilst how many ppl will ever have the opportunity of
sailing on one of their vessels.    Will give the kids something to talk about when they
get back to school.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

not all as it sounds, the first Navy boat to Santandar was to pick up 350 Army on the way home from Afgan, their plane managed to drop them in Spain.

And trust the good old French  The Rail is on strike on the lines from Spain to the channel ports
And the man on the Boats was Dan Snow a well known British broadcaster
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes thanks, it was on the front page of the Mail this morning. His name escaped me when I posted earlier.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
WildRose52
Grafter

Man the boats Dan (Snow)  cause its looking like Eyjafjallajoekull is going to have the final say :

New volcano ash cloud prompts fresh flight doubts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8631144.stm
IT BLOWS AGAIN: NEW ASH CLOUD HEADING TOWARD EUROPE...
(Sky News):-  http://tinyurl.com/y2qoh5k
torbayguy
Grafter

Its just a shame we dont have a real navy any more.
Gone are the days when we could have brought all of our people home, and not just the highest bidders!
WildRose52
Grafter

How long does it take from Spain to the UK?
I would like to think they will allocate the places fairly.
I`m sure there`ll be consideration for families with kids and the elderly.
Unless they do `Titanic style`  women and children first lol.  Grin
torbayguy
Grafter

its 22hours from plymouth to santander.
The crew have been told to give their cabins to the disabled, elderly and women and kids... so yea, could be titanic style!!!
WildRose52
Grafter

Thanks.
Even the SEA is becoming rebellious now  Wink
Mag 3.3  NORTHERN NORTH SEA 
http://www.quakes.bgs.ac.uk/recent_events/recent_events.html
Looks like nature is holding all the ace cards & mankind been dealt the jokers.

torbayguy
Grafter

All we need now is a hurricane followed by an earth quake, we`d be buggered then! ha!
WildRose52
Grafter

Let`s not speak in jest lol.
WildRose52
Grafter