Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You Are Too Old For Broadband pff

Steve
Seasoned Pro

You Are Too Old For Broadband pff

TalkTalk
A LLANELLI pensioner claims he was told he was "too old" for a new telephone contract — despite having a girlfriend more than four decades younger than him.
Eric Hales, 77, of Llangennech, said he felt upset and vulnerable after TalkTalk representatives denied him a new home telephone and broadband contract due to his age.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Llanelli-pensioner-old-phone-contract/story-18200130-detail/story....

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: You Are Too Old For Broadband pff

Dirty old man lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Poor old man!!  Sad This could be addressed as age discrimination!! Good job his girlfriend can purchase the Broadband and phone package from TalkTalk and then he pays his GF the BB charges.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

David_W
Rising Star

Oh, this.  For a few days I did door to door sales in London (terrible job) for gas and electricity.  If you knocked on a door and an elder person opened you would respond negatively with "you don't want to change your gas and electric supplier do you?" whilst shaking your head, which invariably resulted with the person saying "no thank you", you'd say "okay, thanks for your time" and wander off to annoy the next door neighbour.  The theory behind it is that (without meaning to offend the older generation, this was the policy of the company) if you talk an older "more vulnerable" adult into switching providers, their kids or grandkids could consider that you had taken advantage of the older people and wouldn't be happy, thereby calling up, complaining and cancelling the switch.
In this case they probably thought the guy was under 75 so tried the sales pitch, then found out he was over the limit for door to door sales peoples vulnerability scale and couldn't complete it.  It may be ageist (it more than likely is) but it is to prevent older people from being pressured into signing up for a contract they may not want or may not understand they are being offered.  Of course, there are plenty of people over 75 (the majority in fact) who are well and able to make an educated choice about switching providers, in this case however the guy wanted to switch to Talk Talk so quite obviously he wasn't one of them  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Just proves you shouldn't do business with TalkTalk.
By the way who was the Gas & Electric co.?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Foolish old man - needs someone to take power of attorney and look after him. His decision to use TalkTalk clearly shows that he makes new friends every morning. Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

I'm same age as him and have just told SWMBO, who's only one decade younger than me, that I want to trade her in for a 34 year old.
You're all invited to my funeral  Crazy
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
By the way who was the Gas & Electric co.?

Honestly can't remember, but it was a horrible job.  I remember a very heavy pregnant woman who was on her own and (to my eyes at least) didn't seem all that pleased to sign over but did it anyhow, I think when her partner came home he'd have cancelled it but it made me feel guilty (wasn't me doing the sales, was my supervisor).  There are rules though that have to be followed, one of the rules is that you can't lie when trying to sell the product at the door, I remember them talking about one company that had their licence revoked because their sales people were not being honest when selling door to door.
Roberto0151
Grafter

I can't really understand those Talk Talk fools. I'm four years older than the LLanelli  pensioner  but I grow our own veggies, do most of the shopping and all the cooking and join with SWMBO in her family correspondence (in Dutch).
Really unless you're unlucky enough to be hit by illness,  old age can be put off for a long time provided you don't  let yourself give up.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Mail Online 2006 article. TalkTalk rep... ' It's company policy. We don't sign anyone up who is over 70.'
After walking the Great Wall of China and making plans for a trip to Russia, Shirley Greening-Jackson thought signing up for a new internet service would be a doddle.
But the young man behind the counter had other ideas. He said she was barred - because she was too old.
The 75-year-old would only be allowed to sign the forms for the Carphone Warehouse's TalkTalk phone and broadband package if she was accompanied by a younger member of her family who could explain the small print to her.

Source
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My mum is 78 and she managed to get TalkTalk BB and calls whitout any problems! She got it with a 2 year contract when she was 76
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Steve
Seasoned Pro

When her case came to light on Radio 4's You And Yours last week, Carphone Warehouse admitted it had adopted an over-70 rule.
But the firm insisted it was not a blanket policy and claimed the guidance was to protect the elderly. A spokeswoman said: "It is not our policy to refuse business from adult customers of any age group. However, we do ask our agents to use their discretion when dealing with older customers."
She added that the discretionary rule had been introduced in response to complaints that staff had mis-sold products last year.

Source
Plusnet even blogged about the 2006 piece.  http://community.plus.net/blog/2006/09/05/carphone-says-no-to-oaps/