Community Veteran

Yorkshire rat population explodes

I hope this doesn't mean Plusnet Towers
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7883418.stm
20 REPLIES
johpal
Grafter

Re: Yorkshire rat population explodes

That's in West Yorkshire. PlusNet Towers id firmly in South Yorkshire, a different planet.  Wink
James
Grafter

Quote from: johpal
That's in West Yorkshire. PlusNet Towers id firmly in South Yorkshire, a different planet.  Wink

Yeah, we're practically in Derbyshire.
Lurker
Grafter

Almost Southerners...
Community Veteran

Well went I moved from Essex to Derby to work - my friends thought I was moving to the far north............. - now they probably think I live in the artic. But I can't be as there is no snow on the ground below about 1000 feet and no ice.......
still chilly though - but clear skys and bright sun and I have to go for a walk to the post office.
No visible sign of rats though - I suspect they are in the farmers barns.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: James_G
Almost Southerners...

There you are Jameseh...not as bad as you thought Wink Smiley

Anyway I thought all the rats were in Westminster and The City Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

nah they've all left a sinking ship...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Right on the nose Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Mal you had better come back to the artic then, nothing over 500 ft and heavy snow and black ice on roads
N/A

Well I live in South Yorkshire and there are certainly a few rats around here, although I live very close to a farm so it is to be expected I suppose. Only two weeks ago my pal next door had to have the pest patrol man out as she had spotted one in her garden.
Our problem is moles - has anyone got any good advice on how to get rid of them and more importantly, prevent them from taking up residence in the first place? Having the mole catcher man out is hitting the pocket!
This time we've gone DIY and bought a trap but not checked it for results yet because of the snow. No more piles of earth though so I am hoping that it has worked. Thinking of buying a sonic deterrent but have heard/read mixed reviews about their usefulness.
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
sonic deterrent but have heard/read mixed reviews about their usefulness.

that might drive your Cairns away though! and encourage the moles.  Set the dogs on the moles - that is what they were bred for isn't it?
[Hi Sandra - not heard from you for while!]
N/A

Come come jmdlp - as you know, the Cairns would love to have a go at the mole. Unfortunately, considering that the little creatures can dig a few feet down, if the dogs followed them I would very quickly have no garden left, plus some very mucky pooches.
The problem is that I live next to open area that is owned by the council. It is badly infested with moles but they won't treat it and won't take responsibility for them moving into my garden, which they will probably continue to do if the area is not eradicated of them.
The EH people won't pay for the treatment either as they say it is private property and they only do free treatments for rats.
Am going to have a go at the sonic thingy - anything is worth a try.
Community Veteran

The farmers here use pellets that they push through the grass into the mole runs. When the pellets hit the moisture in the soil they give off a gas which kills the moles. We used this system on the football pitch at the local primary school with the help of a local farmer and it was very effective.
I don't think these products are freely available to the public. Maybe you could persuade a local farmer to help out?
N/A

Just before Christmas the gas pellet method was the one used by the pest control man and it did work. Only trouble is we had to keep the dogs in as we didn't want them digging and coming into contact with it.
It's not cheap having to employ someone each time it happens, which is why we bought the trap.
Oddly enough, the farmer's fields are untouched by the moles.
As you say, the playing field is a problem but it is quite strange because they don't invade the football pitches, just the areas around them.
If they did then the council would need to do something about it so that the lads and lasses can continue to play.
Fixes: 104

Would it be cheaper to buy a mole and set it off in the middle of the pitch then  Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks