cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another Air Show collision!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Yet another Air Show collision!

This one in Switzerland, how long will it be before someone suggests these are banned?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34033478
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Yet another Air Show collision!

You're too late... Oddball has already touched on the idea of stopping them:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143051.msg1261374.html#msg1261374
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Shall we also ban trains.... cos there was also a train crash in Switzerland in February 
how about closing motorways, A roads and B roads.... that will stop crashes on them too... the other roads will be nose to tail, so everyone will be going at snails pace and any "crashes" will result in only very minor damage/injury....
Oh how about stopping ships sailing... we don`t hear about merchant ships that sink, but I do believe that at least one per week, somewhere in theworld sinks...  with the loss of the crew and cargo...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I did not and have not suggested that Air Show be stopped, it's exactly as shutter says; where does it stop.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Shall we also ban

As mook says he wasn't suggesting it but asking how long it would be before someone else did.
I was of the understanding that at airshows aircraft were not allowed to fly over people and had to perform stunts over areas where people could not be harmed yet i went to one airshow this year where the plane flew round in circles over the crowd many times.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Trains and passenger aircraft are essential services, air shows are not.
I was also under the impression that show aircraft were not allowed to overfly spectators.
However that doesn't stop these aircraft crashing into nearby residential areas.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

OK. strat... so let`s add motor racing to the "shall we ban them" because they have crashes , too.....
Fixes: 47

Crashing bikes generally don't land on crowds causing multiple fatalities.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Although crowd fatalities from motor racing are rare, they do happen. I believe there were multiple fatalities in the US a number of years ago (Nascar? Indy?).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I guess that those people who attend these types of active sports such as the TT, stock car racing, etc realise there is a small degree of risk due to being close to the action but in this instance it was members of the public who were not involved with the airshow who lost their lives and more thought needs to be given about how these events are staged.
For instance would it not be possible  to hold them at costal venues so if a plane crashes it will end up in the sea, there must also be a number of inland areas a good distance from main roads and houses where such events can be held ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
the plane flew round in circles over the crowd many times

Normal pirade flying is ok but I can see that more stringent regulations on where any stunt flying is done is bound to change.
Maybe they won't ban air shows but a stunt flying ban could be on the cards.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

air shows are an extravagant waste of money for the most part......
but they look cool as fuck and being part of one is fantastic.
and who doesn't like to get up close and personal with all that military hardware, certainly hundreds of thousands of people came to the ones I took part in many moons ago, most of them spent a few hours drooling over the hardware load out stands and many of them paid hundreds of pounds for the opportunity to get 60 seconds in a helicopter as it took off and landed again ......
accidents happen in all walks of life, people suffer slips/trips and falls on seemingly flat surfaces all the time, yet you don't hear the health and safety nutters wanting to ban walking so why should this be any different.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's a bit premature to announce blanket bans until the causes have been fully investigated. The complexity of combat aircraft construction leads to a high inherent failure risk. The risk increases when those aircraft, with ageing components, are exercised at low altitude above populated  areas. It gives the pilot little time to react if he/she does something wrong or there is an equipment failure. My thoughts are of risk reduction rather than bans.
The Shoreham disaster will raise some interesting insurance questions as to who is at fault either wholly or partially. However it is for the air accident investigation, the coroner's inquest to pass some judgement first.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.