cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Year 6 student allowed to listen to iPod in exams

Fixes: 125

Year 6 student allowed to listen to iPod in exams

Schoolgirl wins right to use her iPod in exams as she can't concentrate unless she's listening to mu...
The girl won the unprecedented concession after threatening legal action against her school and examination authorities.

The tail wagging the dog?
The SQA said the ruling would not automatically open the floodgates for other pupils.
A spokesman insisted: 'This decision sets no precedents. We receive many requests for "special arrangements" to be made every year and each is treated on its individual merits.

I understand the stress that exams can bring (I sat my 'O' Levels during the 1976 heatwave) but, surely, this is a step too far?
Whether it's the parents or the girl herself instigating the legal action I find it a little worrying. When I was that age, hate them or like them, you just accepted the ineviabilty of exams and got on with them and, here's the important part, prepared yourself for them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Year 6 student allowed to listen to iPod in exams

CAn't concentrate on music? - It will be interesting to see her CV in the years to come and see if she claims to have good concentration.. - I'd like to see her then be sued by the exam board if she does claim so.
Seriously, you can't go into the workplace and expect to listen to music all day.. thats just not going to happen.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Unless you are a musician, or work in a music store ( aka record shop)  Roll eyes
gswindale
Grafter

Removed as I've now read the article (how do I delete a post?)
Epyon
Grafter

kids theses days Cool
eclecticity

Read the comments. I have (VERY mild) Aspies and find it extremely difficult to concentrate in absolute silence. Tinnitus also causes the same problems for some - having background noise helps to combat the white noise.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A lot of children seem to find music and other background noise essential to studying (at least in the home environment)
At one time music and other noises were no problem to me whilst reading or studying but now the opposite is true.
My wife can be talking to me whilst I am reading the paper or watching TV but I never hear a word she says,perhaps as you get older it's only possible to focus on one thing at a time.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: gleneagles
My wife can be talking to me whilst I am reading the paper or watching TV but I never hear a word she says.

And you get away with that? Shocked
I can have lots of activity (music, talking, etc.) around me but can 'tune out' to all of it when concentrating on something else, unfortunately it's never an acceptable excuse to SWMBO Huh

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I wouldn't say I get away with it, we simply debate it at a later time when she says  I have already told you that, with me saying I don't recall you saying that.........usual catch 22 situation