cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yawn!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yawn!!

Following on from comments in another thread; How much sleep do you get?
The traditional view is that 8 hours is "needed" I only get at best 3 to 4 hours, with an occasional long nights sleep once a month/six weeks or so, after which I feel anything but refreshed, usually waking with a blinding headache and numerous aches from laying on limbs in awkward positions.
Conversely, Mrs P doesn't sleep, no, she becomes comatose for anything from 8 to 12 hours as soon as her head hits the pillow.
The best (several) nights sleep I have ever had was on a "proper" water-bed while on holiday. If you've never tried one you've missed an experience. I understand that some find these a not pleasant way of sleeping with feelings akin to sea-sickness, but its never bothered me.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Yawn!!

I'm an insomniac and at best get about 5 hours sleep a night.  Irrespective of the time I go to bed I awake around 4.30am and then can't get back to sleep again.  I've tried many treatments over the years but nothing has worked on a permanent basis.
I can often have a catnap in the afternoon though and although this may only be for half an hour it is most refreshing.
thisoldman
Grafter

good morning artmo and petlew.  You are both right, sleep can be a real problem to many many people but it is the quality of sleep that is important rather than the duration.
Artmo has made an important point: an afternoon nap is very beneficial as it helps the neurological system to (pc example) clear out debris
and tune up the system.
You might also like to note that  many recent studies have shown that sleep disorders/problems have as their essential aetiology, an underlying anxiety  mode, and hence rather than taking medication or exercising or diets etc etc, many people benefit from simple referral to a nhs sleep clinc or  basic counselling.
You might also want to note that many many studies in jn of neuropsychology  point to the relationship between early onset on dementia
and sleep deprivation in youth/middle age.
I have also some doubts abot plusnets free after midnight usage and i sincerely hope there are no long term consequences from people using this facility. Sleep during the day is qualitative not as good as sleep at night, simply because we are /were programmed from birth to sleep at night.
Im sure you are aware of the problems  of jet lag and  night shift workers.
James
Grafter

I normally get 3-4 hours during the week.
My problem is the amount of time it takes me to actually fall asleep before my alarm happily reminds me it's 6:30.  Normally takes me 2-3 hours to drop off Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

You more than make up for it at the weekends though Jameseh, we rarely see you wake up before 1pm on a Saturday.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
James
Grafter

I have to catch up on sleep at some stage Smiley
thisoldman
Grafter

id have thought all jamesh needs to do is to have a quick re -re3ad of the moans and groans on forums. That should send him to sleep Smiley Cheesy
Community Veteran

Always hated going to bed.. and always hated getting up!
I usually get around 5-6 hours a night...  I'll be up till the wee hours, then head off to bed with a book firmly grasped in my grubby mitts.
When the alarm goes off at 7.30, I do my level best to completely ignore it for at least half an hour!
B.
Community Veteran

because we no longer live naturally, we suffer sleep deprivation.  we wake up to an alarm clock and our lives are regulated by mechanisms other than our natural inclinations.  this leads to disrupted sleep patterns and anxiety when we can't sleep to order.  these patterns begin in childhood, often when we start school.  rudely wrenched from our beds to be ready by a particular time, we learn to pervert our natural rhythms in favour of running ourselves like clockwork machines.
were we to permit ourselves to sleep and wake to please ourselves, we would be healthier and more productive.
Community Veteran

I can't stand napping in the afternoon; feels completely unnatural to me, and messes up my body clock. Much prefer to spend eight hours in bed overnight then stay awake for the remaining 16. Sounds like I have more sleep than others here do, although it's perhaps worth pointing out that I don't have caffeinated drinks, which it seems an awful lot of people rely on these days to counteract the effects of insufficient sleep.
thisoldman
Grafter

good morning Be3G  havent seen you for ages  great to know you are not in deep permanent sleep. Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
good morning artmo and petlew.   You are both right, sleep can be a real problem to many many people but it is the quality of sleep that is important rather than the duration.
You might also like to note that  many recent studies have shown that sleep disorders/problems have as their essential aetiology, an underlying anxiety  mode, and hence rather than taking medication or exercising or diets etc etc, many people benefit from simple referral to a nhs sleep clinc or   basic counselling.

I have recently discussed sleep problems with my GP.  He tells me that most of the sleep clinics now simply deal with sleep apnea and little else.  He is investigating for me at present to see if there is a sleep clinic that I can be referred to.
thisoldman
Grafter

all you need here:

www.sleepdisorderresearch.org

dont fall aslepp reading it Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
good morning Be3G   havent seen you for ages  great to know you are not in deep permanent sleep. Smiley

Thank you kindly. I have still been out and about on here a bit, though have tended to read more than post of late. Smiley