cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yahoooooooooooo

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Yahoooooooooooo

Both my wife and I have separate Yahoo accounts, used mainly for occasional emails. Over the last two days we have both had the accounts hacked, separate user names and totally different passwords which were "apparently" secure, and now it turns out that my daughter has as well.
These hacks have originated in Columbia and Thailand. Anyone else had similar problems with their Yahoo? Just trying to find out if there's an epidemic happening. If you have a Yahoo account it might be worth logging in and checking your Account Info > Recent login activity.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Yahoooooooooooo

I have seen reports on other forums of the same thing
Community Veteran

It's a major problem at the moment on the Yahoo Groups.
I'm a member of around 30 groups and there is a constant stream of spam coming through from hacked accounts. Normally they send an email out to the group with just the members full name as the subject line.
Not quite sure what's going on and how the passwords have been compromised but it's a little worrying.
Fixes: 123

One of the major reasons I unsubscribed to all Yahoo groups several years ago. I was getting around 2/300 spam emails a day.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes my partner has also suffered.. strangely though despite email being sent from her address there is nothing in the sent box.
Mine hasn't been touch (yet) although my password is around 50 characters so probably not as easy as other accounts to target.
My freecycle group has been hit by several people sending out spam too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The spam emails are actually sent from the spamming machine, not the Yahoo account. I submitted all the junk I got to Spamcop and the analysis showed that they were coming from Colombia and Thailand. I agree it's worrying that passwords seem to be worth nothing.  Angry
Community Veteran

I'm with you there nozzer, I report all spam to Spamcop.
Community Veteran

I've got into the habit of putting them into a spam folder, running a script over them to find the originating IP addresses then adding those addresses to my iptables blocklist on my email server.
90% of spam on my Hotmail currently comes from 3 or 4 blocks of IP address ranges.
Community Veteran

How do you run custom code on hotmail then?
Community Veteran

I don't run any code on Hotmail - I have been involved in IT security for quite a while and was quite interested why I had a lot of extra spam coming through over Hotmail recently. I checked out the headers manually and noticed it all coming from similar IP addresses.
The scripts I run on the mail I get through my own email server (hosted from home). I already had the code for the sender IP origination filtering from some software I wrote many moons ago to identify multi joiners on the Freecycle/Freegle systems.
Community Veteran

Ah ok, didn't realise you meant a seperate system.
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

Can't be that because it happened this weekend, which is apparently a month after this article was published.
Community Veteran

Hmmm good spot. My bodyclock still says it's Feb - not as bad as the wifes who cut off my stepsons pocket money for 4 months as she forgot which year it was ....... only spotted that yesterday and had to do a bank transfer to keep him happy  Grin
The last two hacked email addresses which should have come from a local IP have come from Israel and Taiwan
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Since reading this post i have checked my account and its fine, but my missus had 2 logins from turkey on her account 4 days ago which is odd, another odd thing is that myself and another family member both got e-mails from my missus which said nothing and only contained a link which we didnt click on ofc, but in my missus yahoo account there was nothing in her sent folder to show she had sent these.. and ive checked the e-mails and they match....
Anyways she has cleaned up her account and changed her passwords, Thanks for making the post because we would never have checked ours Wink
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970