Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yahoo! Mail

jab1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Yahoo! Mail

I received an email this afternoon fro Yahoo! advising me that if I didn't upgrade to the latest version, I would lose my email address - not a massive problem as I only use it for half a dozen sites, but I am suspicious.

The 'from' field - 'Yahoo!(mfstaylor@sbcglobal.net) is suspicious, the 'subject' (12/5/201Cool is suspicious, and when I clicked on the link -in a 'sandboxed' browser, - FF blocked it as suspicious.

MailWasher thinks it is dodgy, Cloudmark has given it a 100% spam rating and so far as I am aware, I am using the latest Ymail  version. Nothing on Yahoo itself about this, and the UK helpline is dead.

Checking the message header, while the item is still on the server, all the forwarding agents are Yahoo, and the originating IP is Yahoo, but I'm just wondering if there are any other Y! mail users on here who have received it?

John
12 REPLIES
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Yahoo! Mail

jab1
Seasoned Champion

@nozzer Thanks for that, it is very similar to, but not quite the same as the one still sitting in MW. As I said above though, the route does indicate it comes from Y! - correct originating server, and the IP says it belongs to Yahoo - but thinking about it, that could be a clever bit of spoofing by the crims to fool a few.

I suspect the miscreants are using yahoo addresses!

Now binned!

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I use Yahoo, nothing like that has arrived with me yet but it could take days to do so - sending to over a billion different addresses will take some time. Will update you if it happens.

Rather than delete it, you should keep a folder called suspicious (or similar) and store it there just in case you need it for future reference.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Champion

@7up I COULD keep it, but prefer not to allow nasties too close to my system, which is why all my email is diverted to a PN address and therefore checked by MailWasher and the PN filters. Had I not done that and opened and acted on it, who knows what would have happened? As it was, picking it up my way, I was immediately suspicious, hence why I checked the full header via MWP, but unfortunately I still nearly fell for it, but the sand-boxed FF didn't like it, so I just said 'no way, José' and deleted it.

John
Community Veteran

If you're using a mail client on your PC then that's fair enough. If you're using the webmail then you have nothing to worry about - email attachments are not automatically executed from within webmail - you have to click the download link for that however on a local client the attachment is already there and thus it can be executed the moment you open the email.

jab1
Seasoned Champion

I never use webmail - the only time I go near browser-based readers is when I periodically clean up my Gmail/Yahoo. This one was a web link, and yes I know I shouldn't have clicked it, but I was using a sand-boxed browser, which refused me access anyway.

I'll not fall for that one again, I promise you.Wink

John
idonno
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've got a couple of Yahoo addresses, nowt here either. You clicking on links is one reason I don't use HTML ever.

Sure the emails look sad (no colour etc) but using plain text reveals lots of about email i.e. source. Links etc show up for what they actually are. They may say Yahoo (click here) but as you found out where that link is going, in plain text is very easy to see.

jab1
Seasoned Champion

@idonno Believe me, clicking links is something I very seldom do, even if I know the sender is genuine, and as I said earlier, I did it in a protected, isolated environment, so it was safe, if a little foolhardy.

John
Chrisvesey
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hi, 

When I fire up my elderly laptop on Windows 7 on yahoo I get a message saying that from January it will no longer work on Internet explorer and I need to change to chrome or similar, is this genuine?

Chris

jab1
Seasoned Champion

@Chrisvesey Possibly - IE is no longer supported by Microsoft from that date (I think). Not certain, because I've hardly ever used it as I've always been a Firefox user.

Your best option, to be 100% certain, is to email Yahoo support.

John
Community Veteran

@jab1 wrote:

I never use webmail - the only time I go near browser-based readers is when I periodically clean up my Gmail/Yahoo. This one was a web link, and yes I know I shouldn't have clicked it, but I was using a sand-boxed browser, which refused me access anyway.

I'll not fall for that one again, I promise you.Wink

Not using webmail is quite a large security risk. It's also inconvenient if you want to check mail while out on the go too. Plus using the webmail interface means you don't need to worry about backups etc over multiple devices. Yahoo does all of that.

I must admit though that I am planning to migrate away from yahoo in the future.. as much as I have enjoyed the use of the service over the years (and hated them at various moments) the recent sale of them to that other bunch at a stupidly low value has made me think that the webmail might be at risk of closure in the next few years.

jab1
Seasoned Champion

Why is it a security risk?

I don't need/want to check mail when I'm out and about - the only time I am away from home for any length of time is when I visit friends in Brighton, and I have authenticated so I can send/receive while there. I have an iCloud address if I am really desperate to email anyone if I'm elsewhere.

I don't use multiple devices, I prefer to keep everything in one place - a regularly backed up laptop.

John