cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yahoo Mail forced upgrade day..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yahoo Mail forced upgrade day..

Well today is the day they've forced those of us still clinging to the old yahoo mail to upgrade.
I can not "Check All", "Uncheck All", or flag any emails.
I can no longer access my disposable email addresses (apparently I must now upgrade).
I've now lost access to my second username with the dot and can't set it as default (which it used to be).
No more notepad or calender...
Thanks a lot Yahoo. I thought the new CEO was supposed to be listening to the users?  - She claimed a year back that she was going to listen and stop trampling all over the users and now I've been trampled on
Think I'll be off to gmail then lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
17 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: Yahoo Mail forced upgrade day..

I don't have any problems with these interface changes. I never see it anyway. The blessings of pop access. If you can get it, Sprite, maybe you should try that.
Community Veteran

Nope!
They offered me the chance at £12 years ago after letting me use pop for 3 years. I refused to pay it as a point of principle - extortion.
They've since refused to give me back pop access but allow other people to have it.
They've said in this change over that you either agree to their new interface and terms or you go elsewhere taking your mail by imap. Unfortunately they also won't let me use that either. How the hell do I move 20k emails to another acount without that sort of access?
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You can't use yahoo IMAP? Are you sure you've got all the settings correct?
Community Veteran

Yeah believe me I have tried many, many, many times..  Roll eyes
But just to show you the sharks that Yahoo are, when you upgrade you get two choices: Basic or fully featured.
I tried basic and lost lots of features. No disposable email addresses for instance but I was given a link to upgrade. Click the link and again they want £11.99 for this upgrade. Upgrade to the fully featured and suddenly I get them back again - for free!
So Yahoo DO hold peoples accounts hostage and they'll even try to get cash out of you for stuff they offer you for free.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, the basic one doesn't show many of the mail options available in 'full featured' mode. It is relatively easy to switch between the two though.
Community Veteran

The new version doesn't have the "Unread" option that lets you select to view the unread emails only. When you got 20k emails in your inbox and you're getting emails from spammers with their clocks set far ahead and far behind that feature was very useful.
One thing is for sure though this forced upgrade is unwanted by more than just me! A quick search on google has found loads of people moaning about it. The new woman at the top who reckoned she would revive yahoo isn't doing a very good job!
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro

There is an option to sort by unread emails, not really the same but kind of helps.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
They offered me the chance at £12 years ago after letting me use pop for 3 years. I refused to pay it as a point of principle - extortion.
They've since refused to give me back pop access but allow other people to have it.

Um, perhaps you have a .com email. .co.uk was the only one that could get free pop3 access. I don't know what the situation is now, but I still have free access so would assume it still applies to .co.uk domain email addresses. Huh
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have a Yahoo .co.uk e-mail Account to get my mail I use POP mail, to tell the truth I don't use the Yahoo Mail Account, it come with the Yahoo web hosting wat is now gon in to history, but I do check it from time to time.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro

Here's the IMAP settings page for anyone else interested:
Yahoo! Help
Community Veteran

Well I've just found that the brand spanking new better than ever email doesn't allow you do drag images into it like yahoo mail classic.
Good work yahoo, you're doing a great job alienating your users.
TimeRider
Grafter

Yahoo have long been known as the mail of choice for spammers, I was absolutely amazed when BT used sky for their mail. The pain in the ass that Sky moving over to yahoo created, well that's another story altogether, absolute chaos.
What gets me is when ISP's use these inferior services, instead of just setting up their own - bandwidth can't be the issue, as it's gonna go through their systems anyways, storage - well, c'mon, that's pennies compared to what they're making. I've ran my own mail servers for around 15 years now, I don't get the crumby ads, I filter my own spam at server level, and means myself, friends and family have decent service and nice looking email addresses.. Is it just the ISP's don't know how to? (that wouldn't surprise me)
More worrying also with yahoo, there were news reports earlier in the year that they were gonna 'resell' @yahoo addresses, so say you had an old one you didnt' log into for a while, someone else could claim it! and then the 'forgotten password - send to my old yahoo address' fraud fiasco could begin... Whether that's still on the plan for em, well, I'd not be surprised there either.
Go with gmail guys if you want a clean reliable service - but do remember, ALL of these companies, including yahoo like to mine your info for whatever purposes they deem necessary.
Hey Sprite, you really use yahoo mail? Not being nosy, and don't need to answer, but why would you use it (yahoo) if you weren't forced to by isp etc? Or is it just you used it for so long you wanna keep it?
TimeRider
Grafter

On a side note, a little off topic - but close enough..
Anyone know of a similar functioning product to outlook? i.e contacts, mail, calendar?
Registering a bunch of installs of the office 2013 stuff yesterday, microsoft have made a huge mess of the registration process, time to ditch em even for the corporate clients me thinks.
Anything else usable out there, preferably open source, and at this stage avail on windows.
Community Veteran

Quote from: TimeRider
Hey Sprite, you really use yahoo mail? Not being nosy, and don't need to answer, but why would you use it (yahoo) if you weren't forced to by isp etc? Or is it just you used it for so long you wanna keep it?

Unlimited storage and disposable email addresses won me over really. I hate giving out my email address because I end up getting so much spam so the disposable addresses are really handy.