cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yahoo Email

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yahoo Email

Not needing help just wondering if anyone else is seeing this when trying to log in from a PC. I use Linux as my OS and use Google Chromium mostly so when a company tells me what browser I should be using I start to get a bit concerned. Even more concerning is they don't recognise Chromium!!! I actually couldn't log into my email today instead was faced with this and when I clicked on ' try later ' it still never took me into my mailbox but left me sitting there facing this wall.

Screenshot at 2017-09-21 14-25-38.png

13 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Yahoo Email

Hmmmm... according to their forums this is affecting all sorts of browsers (even Palemoon which is based on FF!).

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Inbox-Management/Can-t-Access-Yahoo-Mail-on-Chromium/td-p/312372

Apparently Chromium isn't supported. Isn't Chromium supposed to be a beta testing browser for new versions of Chrome? I suspect you may need to use regular Chrome instead Sad

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I gave up with the yahoo web interface moons ago. It's alright (ish) on a multicore PC that can handle all their heavy duty processor hogging adverts and scripting but on a single core device it's pointless. For that reason I always use their classic webmail which lets you read things - including multipart mime messages but it only replies in plain text not html.

I've also been using Outlook a lot more to access if via IMAP so that I can reply to html messages without destroying them.

In short Yahoo mail is a pain to use these days. Marissa Mayer destroyed a lot of what was once good about yahoo. If memory serves under her leadership its value plummeted so low that it had to be sold off to keep it alive. I'm slowly in the process of making plans to migrate all of my mail out but thats a tedious task..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes @jaread83 Chromium is a beta for Chrome but I would of thought it would of still worked. Thank you for the link, going to send them some nice feedback soon.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Found this:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4556.html

Yahoo mail interface works with the most up to date browser (excluding betas). So that means Chromium will not work. If you can, you could possibly switch over to the classic view as 7up mentioned above if you only want Chromium?

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@jaread83 Thanks, i had to log in with FF. I could not get past the wall when I clicked ' try it later ' but having got in with FF they have turned it into a mailbox for 5 year olds and under. Time to finish the migration.

Community Veteran

I've still to find an easy way to migrate out from yahoo. When i last googled for an escape plan all i was seeing were details on how to do it that would only download mail from the inbox - not other folders. I've got nearly 9k emails in my sent folder alone and i don't fancy moving those manually into my inbox lol.

Surely there must be a way to migrate via IMAP? - I can do it myself to my local system but the code still needs perfecting and thats not something I have a lot of time for at present.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Not sure 7up I don't know how many are in mine but I half changed months ago and there can't be many websites left that I need to change, as for the emails in my inbox I might just do a Hillary on them.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Got the same message but I do not use Yahoo email, what I do use is Flickr and using it today got some message they were sharing your information with some other company if you agree which I did not.

Not sure if this will have any impact on my future use of Flickr.

Community Veteran

Trouble is I think Gmail only offer 5GB of storage these days. Yahoo were doing unlimited then it switched to 1TB and now i've no idea how much it is lol. This makes it a bit of a problem too as you have to pick your next provider carefully if you've kept years of email. They kind of created a sneaky trap there because some users would no doubt have exceeded the limit that gmail will offer and that makes it harder for those people to migrate.

The old rocketmail of yahoo mail was so much easier to use wasn't it.

What killed it for me was the removal of this basic but very useful feature:

screenshot_599

(and no thats not my account with 42k of spam in the sent folder lol - it's an image i found via google)

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

what I do use is Flickr and using it today got some message they were sharing your information with some other company if you agree which I did not..

Verizon if memory serves - i had a similar message on my mail a couple of weeks back. Yahoo was (as previously mentioned) kinda done over and its value rock bottomed. It's been sold off on the cheap to keep it alive. Who knows if it will survive now.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

You get 15GB of storage space on gmail 7up but that is spread across other google services, not just emails.

Community Veteran

Yikes, I didn't realise it was across all of their services. That seems a bit tight when you consider that they can also host your uploaded MP3 collection for you to stream back to all your devices. I think I'll stick to my original migration plans lol.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my gmail, but when I bought my new computer I decided to use Windows 10 Mail for my old Yahoo! accounts that I hardly ever use, and it downloaded my sent emails as well as the received ones.  I had nothing in any other folders so I don't know whether they would have been downloaded.