cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XH558 takes to the skies

TomP
Grafter

XH558 takes to the skies

Beautiful sight at Bruntingthorpe today at the Vulcan XH558 finally took to the skies once again!
(This image is not from today)
What a day!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7049694.stm
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: XH558 takes to the skies

Awesome! A lot of time, hard work, enthusiasm and tlc has gone in to make that happen, not to mention the money.

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: BBC
Some 20,000 people worldwide helped raise the £6.5m needed to restore the Cold War bomber.

I wonder if those 20,000 people would also give £7 a week each to something like Cancer Research UK.
I'm not veering away from this restoration, but I do feel a lot of those people would refuse to give the same amount of money for disease research. Just something to think about.
TomP
Grafter

Just raised £150 for cancer research to do a run.
Gave nothing to the Vulcan restoration.
Just to think about  Wink
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

That's why I didn't say everyone who gave money for the restoration Tongue  It was just a rough example because £6.5million between 20,000 people is £325 each. Quite a lot of money! Unless a large proportion was donated by businesses. But then, the same applies.
Out of interest, what's going to happen to it now?
TomP
Grafter

I imagine it will be a pretty big centrepiece for alot of airshows around the country if not Europe. Alot of people have been desperate to see it flying again.
Not totally sure on that as its not an RAF run thing to get her going again. I will do some research though.
TomP
Grafter

From the other forum...
I think the plan is to fly her for about 10 years, at which point they will run out of engine cycles (in theory you can just keep patching the airframe).
Then it has to be retired to somewhere publicly accessible where they can still run it, so most likely Duxford.
More than likely that it will be based at Waddington I think in the longer run, although Scampton and Finningley (PLEASE!) have also been mentioned by people.

The engines they put in were brand new so they didn't have to rely on those holding out. As they say, the airframe should be workable from most materials.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

"Learn to Love the Bomb"

Community Veteran

Have just had this thing flying directly and low over the top of my house. Smiley
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not so good really, news item from two days ago http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7618887.stm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Must admit to leaning in both directions on this one; its great to see the Vulcan flying again and admire the dedication of the guys who've done it and, raised the cash to do it. But the money could have been put to so much better use to ease human suffering and safety; The Lifeboats, Marie Curie nurses, Air Ambulance the list is endless. But its the contributors money, and they have a right to do what they want with it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the flight was on the BBC Look East news 18Th at about 18:50.  A group went up in the planes of a display group  - Piston engines bright blue, as passengers, they paid £2000 each for the "Privilege" dont know if that is available to view - could\ be will investigate
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the video is currently available but maybe not after tonight  it is a half hour prog but the bit is at about 22 min
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/england/realmedia/lookeast/norwich/lookeast?size=16x9&bgc=C...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

now separated into a separate fixed feed http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7624258.stm
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm surprised the original sponsorship / funding arrangements didn't include a longer period of operational support ?.
AS the BBC website says - it's history as a nuclear bomber casts a shadow over it for some.
Unfortunately - up here many people were disappointed they couldn't see it fly at RAF Leuchars - as the weather was so poor on the day.
And when it finally left on the Sunday I believe - it just went straight back to base rather than fly around the area for more people to see.  Sad