Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wuhan City - China - WOW !

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Wuhan City - China - WOW !

@7up wrote:

Unfortunately china has now completely outstripped out technical and scientific abilities. There is simply no recovering from that now. We've got two aircraft carriers which we struggled to fund at the expense of the sick, they're building carriers themselves with relative ease and one ship even has a rail gun on it so powerful it can strike an enemy ship at a frightening speed and distance - including our carriers. What do we have in comparison? A fibre internet link to the USA who wouldn't help us in the Falklands..

The think in engineering and science is that it is easy to catch up and copy - but much harder to innovate and get ahead, the west has had rail guns for ages now https://www.baesystems.com/en/product/advanced-gun-system-ags

In 2010, the United States Navy tested a BAE Systems-designed compact-sized railgun for ship emplacement that accelerated a 3.2 kg (7 pound) projectile to hypersonic velocities of approximately 3,390 m/s (7,600 mph; 12,200 km/h; 11,100 ft/s), or about Mach 10, with 18.4 MJ of kinetic energy. It was the first time in history that such levels of performance were reached.[29][33] They gave the project the motto "Velocitas Eradico", Latin for "I, [who am] speed, eradicate"—or in the vernacular, "Speed Kills". An earlier railgun of the same design (32-megajoules) resides at the Dundrennan Weapons Testing Centre in the United Kingdom

There have even been trials of a plasma railgun,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_railgun

China first aircraft carrier ( 2017 ) was built in Russia  https://chinapower.csis.org/aircraft-carrier/

Just like the Russians the Chinese have a spy network stealing western secrets,  and to be honest a lot of tech has been gifted to the Chinese by western manufacturing companies setting up manufacturing bases there and equiping them with advanced western machinery.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@wotsup wrote:

@7up wrote:

Unfortunately china has now completely outstripped out technical and scientific abilities. There is simply no recovering from that now. We've got two aircraft carriers which we struggled to fund at the expense of the sick, they're building carriers themselves with relative ease and one ship even has a rail gun on it so powerful it can strike an enemy ship at a frightening speed and distance - including our carriers. What do we have in comparison? A fibre internet link to the USA who wouldn't help us in the Falklands..

The think in engineering and science is that it is easy to catch up and copy - but much harder to innovate and get ahead, the west has had rail guns for ages now https://www.baesystems.com/en/product/advanced-gun-system-ags

In 2010, the United States Navy tested a BAE Systems-designed compact-sized railgun for ship emplacement that accelerated a 3.2 kg (7 pound) projectile to hypersonic velocities of approximately 3,390 m/s (7,600 mph; 12,200 km/h; 11,100 ft/s), or about Mach 10, with 18.4 MJ of kinetic energy. It was the first time in history that such levels of performance were reached.[29][33] They gave the project the motto "Velocitas Eradico", Latin for "I, [who am] speed, eradicate"—or in the vernacular, "Speed Kills". An earlier railgun of the same design (32-megajoules) resides at the Dundrennan Weapons Testing Centre in the United Kingdom

There have even been trials of a plasma railgun,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_railgun

China first aircraft carrier ( 2017 ) was built in Russia  https://chinapower.csis.org/aircraft-carrier/

Just like the Russians the Chinese have a spy network stealing western secrets,  and to be honest a lot of tech has been gifted to the Chinese by western manufacturing companies setting up manufacturing bases there and equiping them with advanced western machinery.

I am well aware of what you've said however the point is, we've given them a huge helping hand in developing defences that are like the wests.

Does the UK have railguns? - I've not heard of any that are in use. Sure we've jointly been R&D'ing them but do we or the USA actually have any in live mililtary service ready to shoot? - Not that i know of.

The chinese however have been reported to have one in service already.

All of our tech needs to come home. We're no longer ahead of the game with electronics at all. Huewei (or however that's flaming spelt lol) apparently had 80k engineers working on 5G. Yes, 80 thousand. Now they've started on 6G and we're still working out whether to trust it over here.

We've slipped. Its that simple.

Everything from a science and tech viewpoint needs to come back home. We gave the world the microchip, now the microchip is being developed elsewhere by foreign engineers to standards that we can not hope to fight against should another war erupt. If the world wants to remain stable, the UK needs to bring it's R&D back in house fast.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Fixes: 459

Cost is king and countries in the 'West' cannot hope to compete on price per unit with countries where the standard of living is so much lower and therefore wages.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

There could well be a new relationship with China by most countries after this SARS-CoV-2 episode - there certainly needs to be,  the west has just been either plain greedy,  plain lazy of plain stupid ( or maybe all 3 ) in their relations with China, which is still after all an opaque communist dictatorship with terrible human rights record..   Globalisation may well take a big knock as well after its obvious flaws have been exposed by this pandemic.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/04/04/business/tech/not-made-china-global-techs-next-big-tren...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I doubt our government would "wake up and smell the coffee", they're too busy being cosied up in bed with businesses that benefit financially from having cheap labour in foreign climbs, and if the gov were to say "No, you must bring it back to britain!", they'll be kicked out of that bed and onto the street without even being handed their pants... 😂

Gotta love extremely rich business lobbying governments for thing to be passed as law...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Strat wrote:

Cost is king and countries in the 'West' cannot hope to compete on price per unit with countries where the standard of living is so much lower and therefore wages.

We're all aware of that one but something needs to be done. The treasury can't keep writing out blank cheques to pay the entire nation every month - this could go on for years. What happens when Covid21 comes about? - or 25, 27... It's only a matter of time. We've dodged several bullets with bird, swine and several other flus, we've dodged the original Sars... Luck runs out. We must be prepared.

We have to make it cheaper for science and tech R&D and manufacturing. This should now be a matter of priority for ournation. The upside is that it will be cheaper than bankrolling the entire country..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Strat wrote: Cost is king .... where the standard of living is so much lower and therefore wages.

It's not that far out. Average salary China  How do you think they buy all the goods they do? Not all of them sleep in shacks. It was the same when I lived in Vietnam. Average yearly wage I used to think was peanuts but then, when I look back, I could buy a full breakfast for less than 35 pence and that was eating out. Their average might seem low but then most seem to live ok. Same like here really. They don't walk around in rags. They have zillions of motor scooters (most houses have at least 2) with electric bikes for the kids all the rage. And most houses have all the mod cons you can think of - including air con.

But yes, very ruthless when it comes to planning. If your house is in the way...it goes. But they will give you a new building plot. 😃

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, charities etc. are very fond of quoting average pay in third world countries without any reference to prices.  A couple of decades ago it was reported that Bangladeshis earned about 21p a week, yet there was no Michael Buerk on our screens every evening reporting mass famine there.  We think of the Nordic countries as being very expensive but as a Scandinavian wrote in a youtube comment recently, "We don't think our countries are expensive, we just think everything is cheap in other countries."

It would appear some government advisors believe we don't need our own farming industry and that the food sector is not critically important as stated here.

In times of food shortages, are other countries going to allow their own population to starve while they supply the UK?  I don't think so.