Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wuhan City - China - WOW !

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Wuhan City - China - WOW !

A friend of mine in Australia, sent me this video ...

We all know that the current pandemic started in WUHAN CITY... many of us probably think it is full of wooden hovels, and chinese people working in a back room with a soldering iron and a box of bits. - cheap labour....

but ... you will change your mind about China, when you watch this video...

https://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/

I have put it on my blogsite... but it may not be on there for long.... 

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Wuhan City - China - WOW !

China is an amazing country. I was there in 2012 and parts of it, from their ancient history to modern day, is simply stunning. Yes there is poverty in many areas and the gap between those who have and those who have not is much wider than you will will see in the western world.

I was expecting to see everyone walking around in olive green jackets and trousers and driving old falling apart bangers but not a bit of it. Their cars were modern and all relatively new and the young women were wearing short skirts and high heels, quiet eye opening really.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

A friend of mine worked in the travel industry, and he used to be able to get discounted flights and accomodation for working in the travel industry.

We ended up going to Toronto in 2002, Vancouver in 2003 (Canada) and it cost something silly like £180 for return Air Canada flights including a hotel (a nice one too) for 5 nights 😀

So just spending money on top. It didn't break the bank for what we got. Alright it was a while ago now but you couldn't complain for that cost.

If you know someone who works in travel, stay on their good side and buy them a drink is my advice 😁

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@shutter wrote:

A friend of mine in Australia, sent me this video ...

We all know that the current pandemic started in WUHAN CITY... many of us probably think it is full of wooden hovels, and chinese people working in a back room with a soldering iron and a box of bits. - cheap labour....

but ... you will change your mind about China, when you watch this video...

China has been miles ahead of us for some time now. Unfortunately our politicians have actively encouraged it - selling us all down the river in the name of tax or cheap manufacturing for maximum profit. There is no national effort and comradeship in teh UK anymore.

It's like Mr Hancock.. he's completely out of his depth insisting that we've plenty of resources one moment and then reality hits him and he has to admit we don't have enough. Like so many at the top of our country he has assumed we're still the best in the world at everything and the stark reality is that this country has fallen by the wayside a very long time ago.

The UK is now just an oddball with quirks that the rest of the world finds fascinating - while they're all moving miles ahead at lightspeed.

Until such a time that our political leaders put the national interest above their own and bring science and tech research back in house, we might as well surrender to the russians - they keep sailing ships past us and flying at our airspace, they've effectively laid claim to us ahead of any other country that would be tempted to try.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Fixes: 460

I visited Vancouver in 2004 and it is a beautiful city but like so many cities it has its eye candy areas and it also has areas of depravity, drug dealing, crime and homelessness.

We had a number of trips into the centre of Vancouver and during one of them our host took us through Downtown Eastside which is the downside of the city and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

The west has been sending technology to China for many decades,  setting up factories there in the name of cheap labour and cheaper manufacture and more profit.  Added to this our clueless politicians happily ran down our manufacturing base in the quest for reducing our domestic carbon emissions by outsourcing emissions to China.

We have created a monster that is still a communist state but with economic muscle ( which is absent from all the other communist countries in the world).

Trump was 100% right to accuse China of dumping and impose tariffs to encourage production back to USA,  instead of criticising him other western leaders should have done the same...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@shutter 

Thanks for the video, was there a couple of years before they flooded the Yangtze gorge by building that Dam.

Even then there were some impressive buildings but clearly a lot more impressive now.

No doubt China will take the lead in becoming the top country in both finance and productivity soon overtaking America.

Whilst I would have no wish to live under that type of regime it’s clear that once the central committee take a decision on something then it goes ahead without opposition unlike the UK where any changes are always opposed by someone and can take years to get off the ground.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Whilst I would have no wish to live under that type of regime it’s clear that once the central committee take a decision on something then it goes ahead without opposition unlike the UK where any changes are always opposed by someone and can take years to get off the ground.

But that's the entire point of our political system - it's very basis is completely flawed.

The oppositions job is to oppose anything they can at all costs - just because, they're the opposition. That is by default, their role. For good or bad, which ever party is in it, their job is to oppose as much as they can.

Perhaps it should be renamed to "The Verification" instead.

This country has been proud of the way it operates for many centuries because it's worked for those at the top. If this country wants to have any sort of future on the world stage it must move with the times. Democracy is viable but it must learn to adapt rather than stay stuck in the dust of centuries gone.

Unfortunately china has now completely outstripped out technical and scientific abilities. There is simply no recovering from that now. We've got two aircraft carriers which we struggled to fund at the expense of the sick, they're building carriers themselves with relative ease and one ship even has a rail gun on it so powerful it can strike an enemy ship at a frightening speed and distance - including our carriers. What do we have in comparison? A fibre internet link to the USA who wouldn't help us in the Falklands..

Time to bring it all back here. Vote for me to become PM, I'll get our scientific and engineering sectors ahead of the game again.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@7up  Gets my vote..... Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@7up 

I might be wrong but I thought America did provide satellite intelligence to us during the falklands war, although I accept they did not provide any manpower or fire power.

Another point about China which may be good or bad depending on your opinion is that they do not get involved in wars with other countries which must save them some money and lives, granted they do have some issues with Japan over some small islands plus the problems in Hong Kong which now comes under China but HK has a young population who value their rights and freedom.....a clash of cultures.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

In some ways i like the chinese way - like you said @gleneagles they don't get involved in war etc (yet - but their military is building). They're advanced, they have a very good technology sector and stuff is cheap. I watched an episode of BBC click a few months back and one guy said he goes out there every month, buys stuff, does his DIY electronics in his hotel room and then just abandons his tools there because it's so cheap it doesn't matter - but so difficult to take back in his luggage.

Must admit from my POV it would be an ideal holiday lol.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

During the cold war, we were always told that although we were training to fight against the Russians, it was the Chinese that we should be watching. They referred to China as the sleeping giant. It appears to be awakening now!

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

50+ years ago when I was a nipper my grandmother  always said beware of the yellow peril as that is where the danger lied in the future. OK she was referring to Japan but she wasnt far wrongHuh

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

As quite a young boy I remember my uncle saying, "We should forget about the Russians and start learning Chinese."

They may not engage in a shooting war but if everything is manufactured in China, it gives them immense power.  Perhaps recent events prove that we need an industry of some sort, especially when it comes to medical equipment.  In a global pandemic we can't rely on other countries to supply us; they will quite naturally provide for their own population first.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Well some say China does not get involved in wars,  but they prefer to do it by using proxies... North Korea, Vietnam, quite a few really.  And you can bet even as I write that China will be helping some anti-western proxy to undermine USA...

The rest of the world realy need to take stock and re-evaluate their relationship with China, our spineless politicians need to wake up and smell the coffee and re-establish our manufacturing base, take our companies out of China and think strategically  about our positions.  For too long the west has fed a dog that is untrustworthy, helped make it more powerful and will one day bite them - and the longer we feed it the bigger the bite and the more it will hurt..