Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong card

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Wrong card

Last month I drew some cash out of a atm, unfortunately used the wrong card....credit card rather than a debit card.

No message came up on the screen to say I would be charged and the money was paid out.

Statement today shows a £3.50 charge plus 97p interest.

No problem with any of that....but...since doing that I have had 3 letters advising me I could take out a loan......no thanks.

I know in some circumstances people might have to use a credit card in this way but is it right to be offering loans as you are likely to be more vulnerable to such offers if you do need to use a credit card in this way ?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

Re: Wrong card

Does this mean that you have set the same PIN number for both cards?!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

Funny that because I did the same thing by mistake a few weeks ago... only the cash point told me I might be charged... which I was. Should have cancelled of course but I was not paying attention being more concerned with what was going on around me than taking in what it said on the screen.

Only took out a tenner so it was rather expensive transaction. Angry

PS. Not helped by both cards being with the same bank and therefore the same colour.

@Baldrick1 

I have the same numbers. Probably not a good idea but at my elderly age memory is not my strong point - especially at a supermarket checkout for some reason. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Does this mean that you have set the same PIN number for both cards?!

Yes.

I accept it's not a good idea but like @Minivanman  my memory is not the best !

Ever been in a queue and in a hurry where someone in front cannot remember their card number ? After 3 attempts the card is locked......I do not want to be that person !

There are easy ways to remember your number.....first 4 digits of your phone number, your house number, doubled if 2 digits etc.

Should I ever forget my easily remembered pin number I will give up my 2 cards.....some people have more than a dozen cards.!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I used to use the date of our wedding anniversary, but I could never remember it! Smiley

Highlighted
Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

Ever been in a queue and in a hurry where someone in front cannot remember their card number ? After 3 attempts the card is locked......I do not want to be that person !

I once locked one many years ago and it was a right pain to get it resolved, it might even have needed a new card. I now find (and I admit that this happened fairly recently) that if the PIN number isn't accepted the first time then I put it down to finger trouble. The second time I am very careful to check the numbers as I enter them. If that doesn't work I check that I am using the correct card. If it was the correct card then I would use a different card rather than risk one locking.

I then plug the 'wrong' card in to my Internet banking card reader as soon as I get home home and very carefully enter the correct numbers to reset the 'three strikes and you're locked' counter in case I screw it up the next time I use it in a shop..

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I then plug the 'wrong' card in to my Internet banking card reader as soon as I get home home and very carefully enter the correct numbers to reset the 'three strikes and you're locked' counter in case I screw it up the next time I use it in a shop..

@Baldrick1 

I know that works for debit cards ... but credit cards?  Undecided

I don't think I've got any card readers that accept credit cards ... can they be obtained?

Highlighted
Hero

Good point, I don't know.

Highlighted
Hero

I do know now. If I put my credit card into the reader it comes up with Wrong Card. Ah well, I'd only used it to sort out a debit card and that does work.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

When I was depositing my PN cheque into my Lloyds account, I inadvertently whipped out my Lloyds credit card instead of Debit (as they use the card to make deposits now rather than filling out a deposit slip), easy mistake though, they're both green, only less obvious detail is the credit card has a hexagonal "Blockbusters" pattern on it which I don't always pay attention to... Grin

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I kept mine in separate parts of my wallet in order to avoid confusion.

Did it help? 

Nope. 

Have plusnet extended the emoji choices in order to confuse us even further?

Seems like. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman 

"Have plusnet extended the emoji choices in order to confuse us even further?"

Couldn't quote the above (quote button seems to have gone AWOL), but I noticed the emojis seem to have been messed up when I tried to use them elsewhere a few minutes ago.

It seems that someone may be tinkering with the 'live' version of the forum.  Hope they don't cause another national power-cut.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 43