cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Charge ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Wrong Charge ?

Anyone who has been watching the news recently will be aware that Berlinah Wallace is on trial for murder following a acid attack on her boyfriend, which she denies.

I am puzzled as to why she has been charged with murder as he agreed to end his life.

The whole thing is very tragic and this post is not about if she is innocent or guilty, a jury will decide that. The post is just about the actual charge.

20 REPLIES
Fixes: 348

Re: Wrong Charge ?

I assume that a pre-meditated taking of life is murder, no matter what the other person thought.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Community Veteran

Is the charge not then, 'Attempted murder' ?

I thought you could only be charged with murder if you actually killed someone or they died of their injuries within a year of the assault ?

I have no idea on the story, haven't see the news and wasn't aware that the person had survived.
Agree that if they are still alive that attempted murder would be the charge.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Having now read something of the story, it was her actions that caused him to take his life - previous to the acid attack he wasn't seeing to die. Which was the impression I had from your first post.

So her actions resulted in his death, therefore murder is still an applicable charge.

Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

Before the community condemns her, there’s always two sides to every story.

It’s up to the Judge and Jury to seek the truth.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Wrong or not, the trial has now been halted and the jury discharged. But that murder charge is a puzzle regardless of circumstances. She might have been instrumental in his death but murder? Don't see how unless we don't know all the facts.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman

Thanks for the update on that.

It will be interesting to know the reason why the trial was stopped.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

Wrong or not, the trial has now been halted and the jury discharged. 

Really? Do you have a link for that information?

According to http://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/Bristol-Crown-Court.php the hearing was due to resume at 10am this morning.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well there you go, but it had been suspended recently...... I'll leave you to google when that was.

You are nothing if not consistent I'll give you that with your demands that we verify everything. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman

No wonder I am consistent in asking for (not, as you accuse, demanding) references when you write things that are not entirely true...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

If you persist (as your record shows) in always asking for references whenever posts are true, false or "not entirely true" then that by it's very nature is demanding - much like my kids used to with consistently the same question over and over and over and over....... well you get the idea.

I suggest we'd both be happy bunnies if we stopped answering each others posts. 

I'll go first. Thumbs Up

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

I suggest we'd both be happy bunnies if we stopped answering each others posts. 

I'll go first.

An interesting offer, but if you really think I’d be happier not answering your posts you couldn’t be more wrong. In fact, just the opposite. I fully intend to reply to your posts just as much as I wish. Of course, if you are really determined to stop me replying to your posts, the obvious solution would be for you to stop posting here.

As long as you choose to continue, however, I will be here replying. How does that Labi Siffre song go.... oh yes:

The more you refuse to hear my voice
The louder I will sing

Yep, you can bet on it Grin

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Community Veteran

Found not guilty of either murder or manslaughter..

Now what was I saying about the wrong charge ?