cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow!... THAT was close....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Wow!... THAT was close....

Crikey me..... Not sure what I would have done in this situation.... think I`ll get a dash cam after all....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4397520/Motorist-killed-head-smash.html

13 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Wow!... THAT was close....

Very lucky ,, Cant make out if lorry is a left hand drive from continent , or was it just a asleep driver

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Lorry looks like it is a "forren" one, and towing a trailer the same size as the main body !..

FAKRO on the cab roof, google that, and you find out that it is a HUGE Polish company...

"

FAKRO was established in 1991 as a private company, based on 100% Polish capital. Within 25 years of a small family business, it has grown into an international corporation, which today occupies the position of vice-president in the global roof window market.

Its co-founder and current president is Ryszard Florek - the initiator and principal developer of the production of roof windows in Poland. Today FAKRO is one of the most innovative and dynamically developing companies in Poland.

The Fakro Group, which employs over 3300 people, comprises 12 manufacturing and 16 distribution companies located in Europe, Asia and America. FAKRO products can be found in over 50 countries around the world - wherever there is a need for such products. Export sales represent 70% of total sales.

"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pays to keep a spare pair of underpants in the car......never know when you might need them.

Wink

Fixes: 47

Looks like the driver was extremely lucky with that access road/path/drive on the left.

If it had been a high wall instead the outcome would have been tragically different.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

reminds me of when I was driving down Spread Eagle Hill towards Melbury Abbas and going round a blind bend I met a large van overtaking another van - fortunately there was room to pull off into a ditch although it wrecked the cars cooling system

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

And this is a true story folks....

Working overseas and pulled out from the customers home straight onto a sharp blind bend thinking crikey, that was scary.... then realised I was on the wrong side of the road going round that bend. Talk about pooping my pants which goes to show, a moments inattention and driving on 'autopilot'...... 

Never learn and did the same back in the UK after three months in France and going round the roundabout the wrong way. Funny? Nobody else thought so but crikey, just so easy to do. 

PS. @shutter. Might be worth making those dash cams out of the same stuff as aeroplane black boxes!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman did you read the DM report on this.....  it happened just down the road from you  ! ! ! !...

Minivanman
Hero

It wasn't me, honest guv'nor!  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Maybe it'd be better if they just dropped off incoming cargo and collected outgoing cargo in our ports to take back to europe, that way they don't have a chance to screw up on our public roads, that and give our haulage industry the work (and abide to the rules of our roads)... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

I think they do that already, they're call container ports. 

Read somewhere that it was cheaper to bring a container all the way for China than to transport that same container from say Felixstowe to Manchester.

Crazy eh, or not.

CSCL_Globe_arriving_at_Felixstowe,_United_Kingdom.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

I think they do that already, they're call container ports.

I meant a total replacement of left-hand drive trucks towing trailers that aren't containers on the road with our own, given the propensity for them to screw up or ignore legal driving hours, or rack up fines & not pay, etc., so they can drive onto ferries, unhitch their loads, UK drivers take over, they hitch onto a load going to europe and off they go, as opposed to container ships bringing in containers and not have to ever touch a UK road outside of the port... Smiley

Community Veteran

Foreign driver I guess but that reminds me of a road near a local university. The road past the uni is all speed bumps and this short road branches off that. It's basically a big dip with a blind bend at the bottom. At the top of each end is the usual traffic slowing road narrowing concrete lump with priority to oncoming traffic as you have to momentarily go on the wrong side of the road to pass it.

Now with a large percentage of foreign students what fool thought that would be a good idea. I hardly ever drive at night and I rarely use that road but twice I've followed a car at night to watch it move out and stay on the wrong side of the road and go all around the blind bend at the bottom. Only moving back to the correct side because of the other concrete lump.

Community Veteran

Those container ships are amazing... but it`s quicker by train...

http://news.sky.com/story/silk-road-train-sets-off-on-first-uk-to-china-rail-freight-journey-1083289...