cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow... Ideas, Suggestions and Wishlists... OK then....

Community Veteran

Re: Wow... Ideas, Suggestions and Wishlists... OK then....

Chelmsford on the other hand, has a cathedral, but is the county town.  The councillors continue to try to get the town city status, but the fact is the residents don't want it. Let's face it, all I'd get for the name would be even higher council tax bills, so that the councillors could claim even higher expenses, because they are city councillors, and could have jaunts to even more cities to twin with. Angry
The confusion is made even worse by the fact that the local football team it Chelmsford City!  I've even heard people use that as proof that Chelmsford is indeed a city Smiley
I grew up in the city (Belfast), but much prefer living in a town.
John
James
Grafter

Then you have the other side of the coin being St. Albans.  Probably actually smaller than Hemel Hempstead and Watford, is deemed a city based on its Cathedral.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
Probably actually smaller than Hemel Hempstead and Watford, is deemed a city based on its Cathedral.

http://www.wells.gov.uk/
B.
nadger
Rising Star

Then you have the other side of the coin being St. Albans.  Probably actually smaller than Hemel Hempstead and Watford, is deemed a city based on its Cathedral.

I suppose having been a Roman town does give it a bit more
status.
I've still got my AA Roadbook from the early 60s and it's nice to look back and see Milton Keynes as a village  Smiley
pcoventry76
Grafter

Rolf for Prime Minister!  Grin
Idea Huh Suggestion Huh Wishlist  Huh you decide..
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: pcoventry76
Rolf for Prime Minister!  Grin

Here's his campaign manager Grin
pcoventry76
Grafter

he's got a fighting chance then! Wink
I'm his PA
Peetaking Annorac Smiley
Community Veteran

It can't be a city just because of the cathedral.  Chelmsford has a cathedral, but isn't a city, because it hasn't a city charter.
Quote from: nadger

I suppose having been a Roman town does give it a bit more
status.

Both Colchester (the oldest recorded Roman town) and Chelsmford are Roman.
James
Grafter

I thought that Chelmsford didn't become a City because the residents didn't want it to be?
Do the councils not have to apply for City status?  I was under the impression that having a Cathedral guarantee City status being awarded when requested?
Community Veteran

Doesn't a cathedral just make you a 'Cathedral City' as opposed to a City?
I know Stirling won it's City Status at either the Millenium or a recent major event in the Queen's reign / life after making presentations etc.
Community Veteran

The residents didn't want it, but that didn't stop the counsillors applying in the run-up to the millenium.  Fortunately, the council didn't get its way, and we remain a town.  Isn't that nice.  Grin
For those interested (ok I know you're not, but I'm going to say it anyway) Chelmsford is built where the River Chelmer and the River Canne meet to join the River Blackwater, so in theory we've got not one, not two, but three rivers running through the town!
We're far enough away from London to have plenty of green space between us and them, but close enough to be there by train in around 30 minutes.  So we have the best of both worlds.
And of course it's the county town for the beautiful rural county of Essex (Don't be fooled 90% of "Essex boys" and "Essex girls" only pretend to live in Essex.  They really live in London Boroughs and the unitary authorities of Safend (or Southend if you speak English)and Thurrock) Roll_eyes
nadger
Rising Star

This site gives a lot of info.
Seems Chelmsford applied on last two occasions but failed.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 6

Quote from: hulls
For those interested (ok I know you're not, but I'm going to say it anyway) Chelmsford is built where the River Chelmer and the River Canne meet to join the River Blackwater, so in theory we've got not one, not two, but three rivers running through the town!

Three?  Is that it?  Sheffield has 5!    Cool
We've built over some of them though...  Embarrassed
Kelly Dorset
Broadband Service Manager
clockley
Grafter

**Pops head up**
My birthplace, Wolverhampton, is now considered a City.
Strange, that.
Prefer living in a town (or village) than a city, but now live in Sheffield and it isnt too bad lol.
pcoventry76
Grafter

it has it's good points and bad points Carl, the good is lots of TF2 nuts you know the bad  Grin