cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you...

Fixes: 125

Would you...

Pet a 'tame' cheetah'?
Pictured: The moment British woman was mauled by 'tame' cheetahs at holiday safari park and had to p...
I know I wouldn't take the risk! A wild animal will always be just that.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 5

Re: Would you...

How odd, I can't imagine I could look at it as a cat, that's for sure!
Chris Pettitt
Cloud Environments Engineer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Having seen 3 tame cheetahs recently no I wouldn't however the keeper was more than able to handle them having raised them from a young age. She was able to put her hands through the fence and stroke them like a normal cat - purring included (until the stroking stopped). It didn't even acknowledge the rest of us, just looked straight through / past us as if we didn't exist. They seemed especially interested in the young children walking past.
I'd love one instead of a dog though, you'd never have any burglar problems.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That happens yearly at Country fairs with smaller animals, e.g. ferrets and birds of prey on display having a nip at the too brave in front of friends or stupid.  A pet can be Safe 100% at home when it knows its surroundings but introduce something new and its on the defensive, then you can't ever 100% trust something that is a hunter.
All you need is someone nervous around an animal and you cant predict the outcome
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
pierre_pierre
Grafter

x47c
Grafter

Cheetahs are really fasinating animals.
They are a totally different genus from the rest of the big cats - I think its vagually related to the puma/cougar/mountain lion
They are the only big cat that can purr
As I recall they only just avoided extinction.
There was some study that suggested they got down to just a single digit number of individuals in total - and it's known from genetic studies that all cheetahs alive today are descendents from one female from that time
Their diversity between individuals is hence very small - they are almost all Brothers/Sisters such is the closnest of the genetic makup.
I bet a pair would make short work of the deer problem round here.......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

B.T.D.T.B.T.T.S.
In our case it was a cheetah sanctuary and the cheetah had been hand raised. It was laid on its side on a table top and had a strong collar on its neck held by the warden.
A very loud purr as I remember and quite coarse fur.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
David_W
Rising Star

Even domesticated cats sometimes give you a look that says "I wish I could tear your head off", they always appear to be just 1 step away from being wild animals, so no, a non domesticated wild cat that is tamed doesn't appeal to me, they actually can tear your head off without even wishing.  I do however love cats and still deeply miss my cats who passed away a few years ago, but maybe I'm more of a dog person.
x47c
Grafter

Domestic cat bites can be quite nasty....and have the potential to turn really nasty
I'm speaking here about the bacteria etc that they can transfer into you - cat's mouths clearly are a breeding ground of some quite unpleasant forms of germ warfare
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes just think what it has just been washing Huh Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

According to one newspaper her husband carried on taking photographs !
Fixes: 125

Can't waste a good opportunity, may never happen again Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not a cheetah but a leopard incident.
Colleague of mine was working outside Nairobi (Kenya) when he came across some small children playing with some kittens, he realised the larger of the kittens was a baby leopard, so offered to ‘take the kitten’ off the children’s hands and re-introduce it into the wild (he had a game ranch…..photography not shooting).
The baby leopard came to live with him and his family just outside Naivasha and happily co-existed with the family for 3-4 years. Every month or so he’d try to re-introduce the leopard to the wild (put it in the back of the land rover in the evening), take it 50-100 miles away, along with a carcass of meat, release it, give it enough food for a couple of days and leave it and ‘shoo it away’, kind of getting the leopard to play ‘hide and seek’.
Invariable 3-4 days later the leopard would be found asleep in it favourite thorn tree in my colleagues back garden, the whole experience was a game.
The leopard got used to these ‘games’ and would jump in the back of the land-rover at every available opportunity, often refusing to get out of the land rover until it was several miles away, then rushing out of the car and hiding in the nearest bushes.
On one occasion my friend had a business appointment in Nairobi, the leopard leapt in the back of the vehicle, when the vehicle arrived near the central market in Nairobi, he opened the door, the leopard was out and dived into the nearest culvert.
Nairobi was strangely quite and safe from crime that night. The police were notified, various traps were set around the market over the next two weeks and baited with fresh meat.
Over the ensuing two weeks 5 wild leopards were caught along with a multitude of other wildlife, including Hyena.
His leopard never returned.
Which possibly accounts for the story that Nairobi is unsafe to walk around at night. Cool
Community Veteran

Not a cheetah, but a lion story.
A few years ago I was working in Johannesburg and over one weekend I was at camping show at Sun City.
I was walking past a stand representing a safari company and noticed a metal cage tucked away around the side. Curious, I walked over and I was amazed to see two lion cubs in the cage along with a teenage boy who was playing with them. I was fascinated and struck up a conversation with the boy. it seemed the cubs were there as a gimmick for the company but he said I had been the only person to take an interest.
I was already  thrilled to bits to be so close to them but then he invited me to come inside the cage. After some careful discussion about how tame they were I learnt he had hand reared these two cubs which were about the size of a large dog.
He opened the door and, heart in mouth I  went in and sat on the floor of the cage. He let one cub come over first (which he said was the calmer of the two) and it rolled over to get its belly tickled. As I gained confidence playing with the calm one, the boy let the other cub come over and it sat on my legs trying to lick me. The first cub joined in and then I am rolling around on the floor while each cub was vying for my attention.
The boy stopped this and calmed them down, I must have spent about half an hour playing with the cubs and talking to the young man.
The experience was like playing with two kittens who were as boisterous as boxer dogs. Thinking back now it was risky thing to do but it seemed like a good idea at the time.