cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you want to work or be a patient in this hospital?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Would you want to work or be a patient in this hospital?

I'm not a dedicated watcher of Holby or Casualty. But SWMBO is, so like it or not in weak moments I find myself glancing at it if I can't anything else better to do.

It seems to get a job in Holby Hospital you need to be; gay (either sex) and no I'm not homophobic, or a psychotic ego maniac. There seem to be a lot of both.

My favourite odd character is the tea trolley girl who seems to be advising patients how to lead their lives, doctors and nurses how they should be doing their job.

I realise there must be some poetic licence, but a little reality would probably make it better.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Would you want to work or be a patient in this hospital?

petlew wrote:

I realise there must be some poetic licence, but a little reality would probably make it better.

Well, perhaps you would like to live in emmerdale, where everyone has a criminal background, even the vicar...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Come on guys.. its the BBC it's their job to peddle unrealistic plots to the public - just like the did the myth that Chris Evans would be good on Top Gear!

We the public know better but they insist that they do..

As for Emmerdale, dangerous place to live that. Always abductions, beatings, robbings, the odd killing, explosions, rockets, airplanes falling out the sky etc.... and nobody ever seems to face police action as they all seem to cover it up and pretend it never happened. Somewhere under the woolpack must be the air traffic controller and flight engineers either as hostages or bodies..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

But reality is not what we always want is it, although I do despair at those who swallow soaps and accept as fact all that is presented as reality. Must admit it does irritate when we are presented with an abuse of such in the face of common sense - but how do we unplug ourselves from it.

"He is risen" was the first message to me on fb t'day, - not sure how my reply "you have a breadmaker as well?" went down. Wink 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sadly there are people who believe these soaps reflect real life and certainly influenced by them.

I guess it's a bit annoying for some people actually doing that type of work to be portrayed as spending their time boozing, having affairs and punch ups rather than the reality of what they do.

There have been a few good programs on the real work of hospital staff and I guess they would have little time or even energy to do what is seen in these soaps.

Community Veteran

What irritates me about soaps is the money. Characters claiming they're skint but never saying exactly how much money they have, how they spend it, what costs what etc.

They go to the citizens advice and it's all solved.. with no real working examples demonstrated. Why? because it's all rubbish isn't it and the producers know it.

Fixes: 123

Yet these skint characters are always spending money in the Queen Vic, Rovers Return, Woolpack, etc.

I thought the first 2 or three series of Casualty were excellent.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

You're bang on the money there Mav (pun intended Cheesy)

These characters have no money for the most trivial of things.. but turn up in the local moaning about it.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

I know a few people in the medical field, and a couple of years after Casualty started I asked one who happened to be a senior nurse in A&E at a major teaching hospital how accurate the portrayal was.  He said that all the things they were then showing in Casualty did indeed happen in A&E departments but not all in 45 minutes.  He did, though, confirm that the medical procedures in Casualty were carried out in the correct way (perhaps not surprising considering they had (still have?) a doctor and a nurse as consultants to the show).

Community Veteran

Everything is getting PC carried away.

Even Marvel comic's have been sucked in with a Black Ironman, Female Thor, and a Gay Iceman. Just for starters.

And Marvel are wondering why sales have nose dived.

Minivanman
Hero

Crazy eh, even Dr Who is in on it now.

Don't these people realise it's all a fantasy and not real life - unlike time travel, flying through the air......

Jeepers. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I remember in the early-ish 2000s, when they re-dressed the sets for Casualty, they had arranged tours of real doctors & nurses to look around to see if it met with their approval, and most their of reactions were along the lines of "They've got far better equipment than our real hospitals!", which is apt given the under-funded nature of the NHS... Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Make the most of it. Give it a few years and the whole NHS shambles will have ended up in the sluice room as not being fit for purpose, and no mistake.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke  Yes, but in Casualty the machine that goes beep probably only goes beep and performs no medically useful function.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Most of the equipment they have on set is apparently donated by former hospitals, the rest is bought in or made for specific episodes (gaffer tape and spray paint probably!):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/7516b055-1caa-426d-a721-c0f97d3c7fdd

Of course, the beeps, boops, bings and bongs are usually dubbed in, and the things like the ECGs are just playing back video files to make it look like they're doing the real job, but without having to traumatise an actor to get a display of a heart attack or something...Grin