cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you want to be a GP ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have been watching, 'behind closed doors', channel 5. Wednesday  and listening to some of those patients who take up a GP's time with trivia made me wonder how many people would really want to be a GP.
Imagine doing all that training  and then have to listen to some of the pathetic reasons why patients are attending the surgery, personally I could not do the job irrespective of pay as I simply could not refrain from telling a few of these individuals they needed a good kick up the backside.
The government and not for the first time have said GP's should be undertaking minor surgical procedures but how they will ever manage this with the number of time wasters they have to deal with this suggestion is a non starter.
I must make it clear that the majority of those attending the surgery are there for genuine reasons, it's the minority that I am referring to.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Would you want to be a GP ?

Quote from: gleneagles
it's the minority that I am referring to.

Ah, if they're a minority then you can't single them out (not PC!).  Cheesy
There do seem to be some incredible time wasters, perhaps they're lonely and bored.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, I also watch the programme and find it entertaining. The producers obviously choose some 'odd' patients to add interest to the prog. I am amazed at the patience shown by the doctors in dealing with some of the patients but again this is obviously for the cameras to a degree.
I am surprised that some of the patients give permission for their details to be aired on TV Huh
Last one this week I think.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A close friend of mine is a Senior Nurse Practitioner and essentially does the same as a GP, for example examine, diagnose, treat patients who walk through the door. She has no existing records of medical history for the individuals. She has a Master's Degree and two other BSc medical degrees and over thirty years of  medical practitioner experience. She has to provide her own medical indemnity insurance.  Depending on her shifts she might start work at 7am or finish at 10pm with 12 hour days the norm. She often has to work on weekends and bank  holidays.
She's paid less than half of what a GP is paid, in fact less than a London Underground driver.She doesn't get paid extra for flu jabs and other immunisations.
It must be getting close to the time of the GP contract negotations, we seem to be getting a lot of stories of poor GP conditions in the media recently.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@AlaricAdair,
Although your friend does not get paid for giving Flu jabs and immunisations I suspect that the GP practice gets paid for the number of  flu jabs @ immunisations given.
I Recall reading somewhere a suggestion that GP assistants were going to be introduced at some stage, I have no idea of what the training or qualifications would be but looking at the suggested salary band it would be less than a senior nurse practitioner.
I guess the introduction of GP assistants would be one way the government  could reduce the pressure on GPs, what the reaction of the medical profession and the public to such an idea remains to be seen.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
A close friend of mine is a Senior Nurse Practitioner and essentially does the same as a GP, for example examine, diagnose, treat patients who walk through the door. She has no existing records of medical history for the individuals.

Why doesn't she have records of the patients she is treating?  In my CCG area all surgeries have computerised records that are available to medical and nursing staff in the practice.
Community Veteran

@artmo,
That's a good question, how  could you treat patients who were on medication prescribed by a GP or hospital consultant and not have access to such information ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo

Why doesn't she have records of the patients she is treating? 

Patients literally walk in from the street, there are no appointments and the patients are not registered. There is no access to GP records or hospital records. As you are no doubt well aware such primary care computer systems are well fragmented with several common systems. The Nurse Practitioner has to decide on the basis of physical assessment and patient discussion what course of action is appropriate. In many cases no treatment is required and just advice is given, in some cases prescription of medication (from the full formulary) is written up by the Nurse Practitioner; other cases particularly long term illness are referred back to their GP; in urgent cases the patient is given a referral letter to A&E (very urgent cases get blue lighted in an ambulance).
It is up to the Nurse Practitioner to have the necessary training and experience to make those decisions without the records being available and to also recognise when "on the spot" treatment is not appropriate. For example when blood tests are necessary those are referred to GP/A&E depending on the level of urgency, but simple urine testing can be done on the spot.
My friend lectured at University teaching medics (both Doctors and Nurses) how to do physical assessment then subsequently an invited examiner to assess candidate skill levels.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Let me think about that for a second, thinking of my own GP.
Fat pay packet.
A couple of long exotic holidays a year.
Always seeming to be out playing golf.
Retired in his early fifties on a good pension.
Now why on earth would anyone want that?
Community Veteran

I know my GP very well and also some of the other partners in the practice. I can assure you they do work long hours  I had an appointment with my GP at 7.10am recently and in the past I have had appointments at 7pm.
Once the last patient has been seen that is not tghe end of their day. They have a mountain of paperwork to do and meetings to attend.

Community Veteran

And I used to works hours that would make any of these "hard working" GP's seem like lightweights.
Community Veteran

Being a GP is not an attractive job in medicine - this is why they cannot fill the training places.