cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you want the job ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Would you want the job ?

I'm often critical of people in official positions who make decisions which I believe to be wrong but on reflection would I be willing to do the job  ?
I am thinking about such groups as local councillors, forum moderators, politicians etc and to be perfectly honest the answer is no, as someone once said to me if everything you do no matter how hard it is few people make the effort to thank you but get it wrong (or even right but people consider it wrong) then you will get plenty of criticism.
So I'm glad some people are prepared to step up and do the job unlike myself who simply could not be bothered with the hassle.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Would you want the job ?

Years ago I used to be a Scout Leader, but career responsibilities meant I was unable to devote the time to leading the troop and I left.  Now my family is grown up and I have the time to volunteer again, but hesitate to do so for fear of treated with suspicion while being labelled as a potential criminal until "proven" innocent by extended CRB checks. On the councillor side of things I could also help, but I suspect the politically correct party politics would soon discourage me. Unless of course people would want to join my Dystopian Anarchy Party.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Devonian
Grafter

I voted for a sea gull http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4742975.stm
So why not?  Grin
Community Veteran

I was a moderator on the local Freecycle group. You would get threats from "I'll come and key your car" to "I'm going to burn your house down" depending on the person who you'd politely asked to wait a couple of days more before reposting their wanted request for a diamond encrusted Rolls Royce. One particularly nasty member was getting quite abusive to another member and hiding behind his seemingly "anonymous" username and throwaway email address until I tracked him down, got a copy of his CV, his mum's telephone number and various other interesting photo's of him and had a quiet word. I've not seen or heard from him again  Grin
I've also had threats from members of other forums which I've moderated but generally they calm down after a while and apologise. Usually the other members are 100% behind me and do most of the work anyway Smiley On average I ban 4-5 "members" a week for spamming and maybe one every 2 or 3 years for refusing to co-operate. Not bad for a forum with over 55,000 members Smiley