cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you use petrol to get a BBQ going?

Fixes: 125

Would you use petrol to get a BBQ going?

First picture of teenager set on fire by boyfriend, 19, while trying to light barbecue with a bowl o...
Chris Flintoff, 19, had become frustrated that the barbecue wouldn't light so got a dish of petrol and poured it on the fire. But the flames shot back up and set to his hands on fire.
Desperate to put out the flames, he threw the bowl behind him not realising his 19-year-old girlfriend, Lindsey Plant, was walking there to fetch her mobile phone.

Crass stupidity!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Would you use petrol to get a BBQ going?

Doesn't surprise me, I have seen some people do very stupid things when lighting BBQ's.
I also have my own experience, when I and about half a dozen friends built a BBQ from stone in the garden.
All was going well, until the water logged stone exploded, throwing hot coals and bits of stone the size large pebbles everywhere, and one huge chunk of stone about 30cm x 20cm x 5cm straight through the thronged guests, somehow missing them all and smashing into the house wall some 20ft away.
At the time I was stood about 5 feet from the BBQ, and there was nothing left of it, it was just gone, and somehow, by some miracle, not one of the twenty or so people who were there got hit by anything, personally I felt lucky to be alive, as I think did some other people who had quite literally seen hot stone fly before their eyes.
nadger
Rising Star

Not had a barbecue for a long time but I do recall that we had a fluid that you sprayed on the charcoal before lighting.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

more than one way to be a BBQ idiot, from Essex fire Brigade records
Fixes: 47

At £1:30 a litre...you must be joking Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Fixes: 47

Then again around my area...
                                  Unleaded 	Diesel 	LRP      	Super 	      LPG 	
The Highest price in this area: 139.90p 147.90p 144.90p 147.90p 77.90p
The Average price in this area: 135.66p 141.90p 144.90p 142.59p 75.90p
The Lowest price in this area: 133.90p 139.90p 144.90p 135.90p 73.90

...but this is not a fuel thread and the Mods might be watching...
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but it is Chit Chat
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just found this in Essex fire brigade - 24th April
Also inquest this morning, Petrol on BBQ in Chelmsford, so badly burnt the regional Burns unit would not treat him,
let him die
pierre_pierre
Grafter

got my reports from this database, via google  http://www.essex-fire.gov.uk/pages/index.asp?area=5&id=46
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service offers a 24/7 service to the press. Our incident database is updated on a regular basis by the media team and we have established a hotline - 01376 570 814 - where you will be able to reach us round-the-clock. We do ask that routine check calls are not made between 10pm and 6am, because all items of interest will be posted here as they happen. Please note this is NOT a service for the public and press from outside our local area are asked politely to adhere to these guidelines.
Photographs from incidents may be downloaded for publication. These may be used free of charge by all accredited newspapers and media agencies providing they carry a credit to Essex County Fire and Rescue Service. Breaches of this arrangement will result in an invoice of £70 per image. Our film footage may also be used under similar arrangement.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Chelmaford man whose inquest was today  http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/news/Undefined-Headline/article-2113019-detail/article.html
Keen cyclist Leslie Hurrell, 69, suffered 96 per cent burns after pouring petrol onto the bonfire in the garden of his home in Beehive Lane, Great Baddow.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Poor kids, bet they didn't expect that sort of hot date  Lips are sealed
Seriously, i'd never use petrol for a BBQ. Not only does it have unknown chemicals in it which could have nasty effects, the stuff is volatile too. I'm always amazed that there aren't more cars exploding on the road to be honest.
I always use those lighter blocks. I tried Tesco BBQ lighter fluid once but i swear to god it was so useless you'd have better chance using water because the stuff wouldn't light at all.
I've been known to use paper in the past too. I feel for the kids though because those disposable BBQs can be a bugger to light sometimes. Most of the time they light up pretty easily but i've had a couple that for some unknown reason the lighter paper just wouldn't do its job and it was rather infuriating. Got there eventually though but they're rather bad for lighting in the wind.
Dealing with the burnt charcoal is always the bit i dread. Seriously what are you meant to do with it? I personally pour a load of water over it all but then that leaves you with a load of grey sludge to deal with which gets messy. Ok if its a disposable BBQ but if its a proper metal BBQ you don't want the thing rusting up yet you can't really leave it out over night in case it rains or gets nicked.
Was meant to have a BBQ at the weekend but my broken tooth put an end to that.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Denzil
Grafter

Petrol is only explosive when vapourised, and then when mixed with the right volume of air to ensure most of the petrol can burn all at the same time. In car accidents the fuel tends to leak as a liquid, which will certainly burn, but won't explode. Leaking fuel will evaporate readily, but tends to get dissipated into the air and doesn't get the right air/fuel mix to explode. Hollywood-style car explosions almost never happen in real life.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat

...but this is not a fuel thread and the Mods might be watching...

Which could ignite another debate, from some bright spark, desperate to start a hot topic,........................................ etc etc etc  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just a flash in the pan