cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you trust them.... (oops... you probably do ! )

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Would you trust them.... (oops... you probably do ! )

In another thread, it was said that the US administration is dumping Kaspersky antivirus.. and Kaspersky offered their source code to the yanks.

So.. does that mean the yanks are no good at writing anti-virus progs ?  

There has been a lot of controversy over the election of donald trump into the top job ... and how the russkies had manipulated the voting.

could it be, that the yanks have somehow spotted something in the kaspersky coding, that "phones home" information to russia?  

We all use some form of Anti-Virus program,... and we trust them to be "just that"...

but something has got me thinking..... what if....... ? ? ? ? ? ?

3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Would you trust them.... (oops... you probably do ! )

I was already suspicious of kaspersky years ago so it came as no surprise when it was removed from American approved software lists. No idea why I just didn't trust it purely because of its Russian links.
The thing is that the software may be legitimate but it's very easy to use plugin loaders that can then run external code that isn't part of the original source. You only need to demonstrate a few legitimate plugins to justify its use too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

I could be wrong here but because AV software has unlimited access to a computer by virtue of it's function, all such software can be viewed with suspicion and shouldn't be installed.

Where do we go from here.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Strat  Yeah,, It does make you wonder, though.... we all want to keep the baddies out,.. but what if they are sneaking in with the shopping  ? ? ?

Shocked