cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you tell?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Would you tell?

I had a message from the National Lottery this morning telling me there was great news about my ticket. (Genuine message). You have those thoughts about whether it is a £3 win or maybe the jackpot. I managed to resist checking on-line until after breakfast and after walking the dogs. I didn't want to be grinning like an idiot over the breakfast table if it had been the jackpot.  I've previously decided I'd tell no one, not even the missus, if I ever won the jackpot. I'd then proceed to have great fun giving away the money to suitable causes in need of funding.
As you can guess from this announcement, some johnny foreigner scooped the jackpot.
What would you do?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Would you tell?

I Would say nothing and I would stay in the same house and no new flash cars on my drive.
Guess I would give  my children who are grown up an married at least half of it on the understanding they made up their own story about where it came from.
To tell people you have won millions is very unwise in my opinion although some people seem to thrive on publicity.
nanotm
Pro

unless they've changed how they do business you don't get notified of wins over 5k by email, but aside from that, I would tell my wife but not my kids (because they have gobs like foghorns and it would be the same as posting a front page advert in the local paper) and despite the urge to help others I would probably refrain from doing anything for some time just so we were absolutely certain before making any commitments.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

On second thoughts, I would tell all you folk on the forum as you don't know who I am, no time to add to that as the taxi is at the door waiting to take me to the cruise ship..............

I Wish
Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I always liked you, kiss kiss lol ;-)
Fixes: 125

I would definitely tell the missus but sod telling anyone else. I'd probably give a little something to my daughter to spend now but at 19 she still thinks daddy has a money tree growing out back! I'd put an amount into trust until she was a lot older.
I'd help out a couple of friends without letting them know the true value of my new worth.
Donate to a few charities dear to me then buy a dream house and just try and enjoy the rest having split it 50/50 with the boss Cheesy

Oh, yes...

I'd update my will!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Personally I would emigrate. But would need >£500K to retire as I want to.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

If you invest wisely, 100K is sufficient.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: AlaricAdair
As you can guess from this announcement, some johnny foreigner scooped the jackpot.

From this I assume you meant a person living in the UK but of a er! different persuasion?
One of the lottery rules is that all "players" must be resident in the UK at the time of ticket purchase and any win. I believe I've heard somewhere that you can be denied the winnings if you were away from the UK on holiday.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pwatson
Rising Star

Wasn't it the Euro Millions draw yesterday?  Wink
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Petlew
One of the lottery rules is that all "players" must be resident in the UK at the time of ticket purchase and any win. I believe I've heard somewhere that you can be denied the winnings if you were away from the UK on holiday.
Unless you play by Direct Debit.
From my understanding of things you have to be in the UK at the time of purchase but not when the draw takes place.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pwatson
Wasn't it the Euro Millions draw yesterday?  Wink

Oh sorry, I'd forgotten that. I don't do NL these days, only the Herts Air Ambulance lottery. I don't mind too much not winning a fortune as I KNOW my stake is going to a GOOD cause.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro

funny thing I do the local air ambulance lottery, and even though I could use any winnings I already ticked the box to make it a donation to the charity effectively gifting them there own fundraising Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
If you invest wisely, 100K is sufficient.
Is there such a thing as a wise investment ?
nanotm
Pro

a cash I.S.A is the only one I'm aware of  Wink