Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you swerve to miss a squirrel.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Would you swerve to miss a squirrel.

Would you swerve to miss hitting a squirrel with your car. How about a hedeghog?

Nobody wants to squash one of these little creatures that scuttle across our roads, but how in Gods name are we supposed to spot the little fellas even with these new road signs. Mind you, I did knock over a sheep once on a foggy road.

Reminds me of those "Baby on Board" signs that were quite popular a little while back. What were we supposed to do, take avoiding action in those last micro seconds before a collision? 

e6f77b6fd37a5a9f7eaec7159ae960e7 (2).jpg

So why did the Hedgehog cross the road? Smiley

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would you swerve to miss a squirrel.

@Minivanman wrote:

So why did the Hedgehog cross the road? Smiley

The story about you and the sheep is part of the animal folklore now so when it saw you coming it scarpered quick sharp.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah, ewe heard it before!

True story though, clouted it when driving across Fairwood Common near Swansea.

Hardly nudged it and it sort of fell over and died later so I was told. Should have stuck it in the boot of my car and just drove off. Not so with squirrels or hedgehogs though, those things a riddled with fleas.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Sadly I've hit both squirrel and hedgehog. The squirrel would have been fine but decided on seeing me pootling along to go back the way he'd just come. No amount of slamming on the brakes was going to help. Luck of the draw. I caught the front of him. Sad

The hedgehog, while he went under the car, was a rather large one. Heard it get hit by the car. Nothing I could do as there were 3 other cars following along behind. And yet, next morning there was no sign of it at all. Maybe it survived all 4 cars.

But the big question really should be 'would you swerve to miss a badger'? Too right I would. Friend hit one and had to shell out nigh on a grand to repair the car. Front end was a right mess.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Strat
Fixes: 506

I was once hit by a Pigeon while doing 40mph down the A61.

It hit the top corner of the windscreen and landed in the road behind me.

I saw it in the rear view mirror shake itself down and fly off so both the pigeon and my car survived the encounter.

PS I was doing 40mph, the pigeon couldn't have been doing more that 15mph as having just taken off.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Grey squirrel would get no brakes and no swerve ( would be one less for me to shoot ) for anything else I would swerve but not if other vehicles around - not worth getting into an accident. 

Squirrels often run around in circles in middle of the road, you are what you eat and they are nuts ( oh wait though, they also eat birds eggs and chicks and ringbark trees, dig up your bulbs and plant them in the lawn, and if they get into your loft they will chew wiring and set your house on fire ).

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

The hedgehog, while he went under the car, was a rather large one. Heard it get hit by the car. Nothing I could do as there were 3 other cars following along behind. And yet, next morning there was no sign of it at all. Maybe it survived all 4 cars.

Arthur Boyt (BBC video) was probably in one of the following cars and spotted his dinner on the road in front of him ...

And here's one I prepared earlier ...

(The hedgehog features at about 2:30 into the video)

Shep41
Pro
Fixes: 4

Run the [-Censored-]s over. After all they are classed as vermin
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Depends if we’d got anything in for tea 😋

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

I wonder how many people know that it's illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild, or allow one to escape, although I don't know if it'd be illegal to not run one over, food for thought ...  Undecided

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Back in the day I would go out of my way to run over a rabbit / hare. Had many a tasty rabbit stew. And picking many up at the roadside as long as they were still warm.

I remember a mate run over a small deer. A butcher was happy to, well butcher it for him into various cuts. A sort of 50 50 deal. But not really a good deal as it made a bit of a mess to the front of his car,

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Must to admit it's very hard not to swerve to miss these little fellas, even dog as cats. But better to grip that wheel and stay on course rather than cause an accident.

Worst one was driving on a motorway (what else), roof rack and ladders on top of the van, and literally slammed into a flock of low flying birds and crikey what a mess. Pulled over into the next service station - which thankfully was not far away off to clear them all off - they were stuck and mangled everywhere.

Double yuk does not even begin to describe what had been like a scene out of that Alfred Hitchcock movie. 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

Hurtling down a steep country lane on a bicycle some years ago, it was impossible to do anything when a squirrel dashed across the road. It must have been his lucky day, as he managed to run through the space between the front and back wheels.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Strat wrote:

I was once hit by a Pigeon while doing 40mph down the A61.

Two wood pigeons (they are pretty hefty units) attempted a vertical take-off in front of me as I came round a bend at 60mph. One took out the nearside wing mirror, the other managed to go straight through a headlamp, after leaving a foglight dangling. The scene was like an explosion in a pillow factory.

I have done my bit to keep the local rabbit population down, but the danger round our way are muntjac deer. For the most part they are quite road savvy, but if you see a couple of green dots shining at the side of the road in the dark you are well advised to drop anchor in case it gets spooked. You really don't want to hit one.

As for swerving for small furry animals - never; you don't know where they will go. Just slow a bit to give them a chance.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

@beeceegee wrote :

If you see a couple of green dots shining at the side of the road in the dark you are well advised to drop anchor in case.

Happy memories of my younger days, driving an MGB around the Somerset lanes. Having to drive round blind bends and obscure sighted lanes with extreme caution. Deer & Stags would often run straight across the road and the thought of upending one of them onto an open top roof was unimaginable.