Did you mean: 

Would you pay to see your GP ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Would you pay to see your GP ?

GPs to vote on charging patients for appointment:
Fees of between £10 and £25 proposed to deter sick from missing consultations
The proposal is to be debated at the British Medical Association's local medical committee conference in York on May 22.
If the vote is passed, the BMA would then have to decide whether to ask the Department of Health to impose a national charging system.
It is likely that the elderly, children, pregnant women and others will be exempt or charged less.
One thought... Why don't they just take that money £10-£25 as a deposit. If you show up you get it back. If you don't they keep it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2621886/GPs-vote-charging-patients-10-25-appointment.html#ix...

46 REPLIES
PowerLee
Rising Star

Re: Would you pay to see your GP ?

I try & avoid my local gp practice, there useless as the many copies of letter's of complaint my hospital consultants have written to them in the past point out.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

what an absolutely horrible idea,
they already have the power to issue a £90 fine for failure to attend why do they need to charge for the appointment as well ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Thunderclap
Grafter

Sad You can actually *make* an appointment with your GP?
And even if the Doctor is in, you pay £25 to be told you "have a virus" and "if the symptoms persist then make an appointment to see me in three weeks time"? Given there are six appointments per hour.... this makes private medical insurrance value for money. If you can afford it.

Fixes: 125

Some thoughts;
It appears there may be exemptions, children, elderly and, perhaps, those on certain benefits Undecided Aren't these the one's more likely to simply miss appointments? I make this assumption based on the fact that those in work know that time is money and are less likely to waste someone else's time let alone their own.
Also, will those that are already paying NI contributions get a rebate at the end of the year or are we just expected to pay twice for the service?
Will it not encourage those not exempt to simply avoid the quacks meaning that some serious illness may go undetected for longer costing the NHS more in the long run?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Mav, you're thinking inside of the box there.
Another thought from the box; what about when people who turn up on time for an appointment get bumped because someone else turned up late, ad-hoc or, the Doctor is over running? Get a refund? Get £25? I don't think so.
Community Veteran

If you are more than ten minutes late my local GP call that a missed appointment. I found this out when someone arrived late and was told sorry you've missed your appointment.
At this point the receptionist got up on her high horse and started reciting how many missed their appointments and how much time was wasted. And then said it would be a good idea if people were charged for time wasting missed appointments.
By now I had enough of this pompous garbage so I simply stated what a good idea. But to be even handed and fair, as I have been waiting here for more than fifteen minutes,  shouldn't the GP acknowledge that they have missed my appointment, wasted my time, and recompense me for that.
That received a great cheer from the fed up patients and the receptionists went very quiet.
Fixes: 125

I only visit my GP around once a year, sometimes less. When I do I ensure I'm at least 10 minutes early but usually get seen between 20 and 30 minutes after my appointment time.
How will they go about collecting the fees? Pay-as-you-Go GPs Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Quote from: Thunderclap
this makes private medical insurrance value for money. If you can afford it.

However with a potentially large increase in the value of claims, the premiums would inevitably rise substantially.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

I have several GP clients
I kid you not
One of which has just paid cash for a country house, already has a lavish sports car
Goes abroad 5+ times per year
& still have more money than you can shake a stick at
Quote from: PlusComUK
GPs to vote on charging patients for appointment:
Fees of between £10 and £25 proposed to deter sick from missing consultations
<snip>
One thought... Why don't they just take that money £10-£25 as a deposit. If you show up you get it back. If you don't they keep it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2621886/GPs-vote-charging-patients-10-25-appointment.html#ix...

Whilst in one thought
It will help alleviate the GP's workload from the ( spongers of the state that claim DLA / pull a sicky from work, when there is nought wrong with them) Dare I SPEAK THE TRUTH Hypochondriacs
With the increase of poverty <=====> increased illnesses etc, caused by our own government, with there non UK values, will mean those that NEED THE CARE will MISS OUT as they will not be able to afford to see their GP & get the treatments they need.
It was not long ago reported
[quote=http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/450316/GP-shortage-will-force-patients-to-wait-a-week-to-see-their-doctor-in-2014]GP shortage will force patients to wait a week to see their doctor in 2014
When in actual fact some Surgery's have a longer wait times up to 3 weeks for some & longer for others
It has also been reported (can not locate the link at the moment) (Google may help you out) that they were going to use our foreign friends as opposed to our already gone through the training processes etc BRITISH PEOPLE
Can you honestly believe the money will be going where is it reported going ?Huh
Brings me to another point
Oops beaten to it
Quote from: billnotben
If you are more than ten minutes late my local GP call that a missed appointment. I found this out when someone arrived late and was told sorry you've missed your appointment.
At this point the receptionist got up on her high horse and started reciting how many missed their appointments and how much time was wasted. And then said it would be a good idea if people were charged for time wasting missed appointments.
By now I had enough of this pompous garbage so I simply stated what a good idea. But to be even handed and fair, as I have been waiting here for more than fifteen minutes,  shouldn't the GP acknowledge that they have missed my appointment, wasted my time, and recompense me for that.
That received a great cheer from the fed up patients and the receptionists went very quiet.

I can never see any patient getting compo for GP's missing patients appointment(s)
What if the patient
Is unable to get to the appointment as their illness has taken a turn for the worse in the one - three weeks they had to wait for an appointment, can not get to a phone to call doctor / or problems with the phone line / no signal on mobile prevents them from calling the GP / their car wont start  / already been rushed into hospital (records not updated) et al ?Huh
What about them there patients that have been mis-diagnosed / mis-treated by GP's that CAN-NOT get compo for the suffering they have endured as a result of GP negligence
Quote from: Mav
I only visit my GP around once a year, sometimes less.

I have only had to see my GP twice in the last 10 years for myself
I typically go to a chemist / tell them my symptom / purchase some medication the chemist recommends & BoB is allegedly my uncle

What is the chances that the monies raised will fund the support of the computer system that will sell patients data to those that pay for it ?Huh
Fixes: 47

I've been to see a GP twice in about 40 years.
If waiting times are as people suggest, I'll wait for the undertaker, they are far more efficient.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, indeed. Strat... you don`t even have to wait for the bus to take you home ! !  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Like most other services these days GP's vary from the excellent to the incompetent .
One problem was that GP's once trained were under no obligation to attend courses to keep up to date, added to that was the Governments constant involvement that increased the managerial aspects of GP's work such as funding, outcomes, etc
As for paying to see the GP's all that will happen is that more people will turn up at A&E or even phone for an ambulance, whilst I have no statistics or links to prove it I suspect that up to a third of those attending do not require any form of treatment or could get minor treatment or advice from a clinic nurse.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The last time I saw my GP it cost me a fortune. He was a trainee GP (Registrar) and his dodgy diagnosis caused me to lose my driving licence and consequently the contract I was working on. I avoid them at all costs and certainly wouldn't pay to see them.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

There will be a lot of unemployed GP's.
If it's not too serious I shall just go to A&E for a diagnosis.
I've paid NI all my adult life.
It's now payback time!