cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you move house/family etc. if the company decided to move your department

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Would you move house/family etc. if the company decided to move your department

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11513380/BBC-staff-refusing-to-relocate-to-Birmingham.html
This isn't a north/south question per se although that may have an effect but this was the interesting quote
Members of the human resources department have been most reluctant to relocate, Broadcast magazine reported, with take-up “very poor”. A number of the department’s executives are commuting between Birmingham and London.
For which the rather obvious explanation is that those employees whose skills aren't in any way specific to working in broadcasting decided to take redundancy and get a job with another employer
This reminds me of when my employer at the time decided to close the Poole office and relocate most of the staff to Sheffield and were extremely surprised at the low acceptance rate.
As I pointed out at the time most of the staff were married with full time working wives (in some cases the wife earned more than the husband) and a relocation to a city where the employment prospects for the wife was somewhat poor given the unemployment level at that time.wasn't a good idea
There was also the factor of children in GCSE etc. where a move would have serious side effects in relation to course work
17 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Would you move house/family etc. if the company decided to move your department

Job insecurity in almost all occupations these days is such that it seems rash to move a great distance and then risk being "let go" shortly afterwards. I suppose that the increasing trend to rent a home instead of buying may make this a little easier for some.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Re: Would you move house/family etc. if the company decided to move your department

One wonders at BBC's motives for this wholesale move of business functions.  If it is "cost savings" then it will be a long time before there are net saving after covering the disturbance costs of its employees.  If this is the direction to corporation wants to move in, then may be Lord Hall and Cohen should show the way and relocate to Birmingham first.  I doubt they will be willing to give up their London centric life.
I suspect this has more to do with BBC's lovie PC and social engineering agendas than anything else...
Birmingham is an important base for the BBC because it has a young and ethnically mixed population.

Which has zero to do with talent and ability.
Community Veteran

Generally speaking people moving from London to the provinces enjoy a better life-style while retaining London salaries. Usually the housing in the provinces is less expensive and the schools are better. The problem comes when you need to move back to London to find work. I suspect the BBC problem is fear of the unknown, though clearly this might vary in individual circumstances.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I thought there were some rules and regulations about staff being required to move in the interests of the firm or organisation ?
I was always under the impression that a firm could give staff the option of moving or compulsory redundancy, if the option to move was taken up then staff would be entitled to all necessary expenses involved with such a move?
Whilst I cannot point to a specific link about this I was under the impression a firm could do this.
Marksfish
Grafter

14 years ago, my wife worked for the Woolwich in Bedford on a fixed term contract. Barclays took them over and moved the office to Leeds and my Wife wasn't legible for relocation. None of the Bedford staff working in my Wife's department wanted to move so she expressed an interest. As she was the only one, she was given the relocation package and away we went. Some 12 years later, my Wife had been promoted enough to be able to work from home and I also work from home in my job as a service engineer, so we moved back to the Bedford area again. A worthwhile experience that would have resulted in my Wife being out of work if we hadn't done it.
Mark
Community Veteran

Many years ago whilst working in Kent my then employer decided to close the Kent operation and move to the south coast. I decided not to go which was a wise decision as 2 years later the company out sourced its operations abroad and employment  prospects on the south coast were not good.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I trained as a Professional Engineer and started factory based and expected to move as factories shut or some expanded. But during my career Britain stopped making anything.  Crazy
So marketing my knowledge and skills I found I could negotiate contacts for myself in consultancy, design or construction where I could keep my home base on the Yorkshire coast and have accommodation provided by my employer/ client.
I've never had the problem of being  a company man in a corporation like the BBC I've always been a free spirit  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro

what a bunch of whiney gits!
either you move or you commute (they are both your choice) or you take the third option of changing jobs to a different firm, its cheaper to commute than move often times so that makes it a no brainer and if it becomes unequitable to do either of 1 or 2 then you take option 3 !
if I ran that business I would sack everyone who was crying to the press about their plight, plenty of other fish in the sea begging for a job !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Would you like to explain where you get the idea that the staff are crying to the press
nanotm
Pro

if the staff didn't go crying to the press there would of been no reason for the bbc spokesman to make an announcement, its an article written by a reporter that clearly doesn't give two figs either way and has the headline
BBC staff refusing to relocate to Birmingham
Community Veteran

Rubbish
The article in the Telegraph was taken from a report in Broadcast Magazine and there is no evidence that the staff were crying to the press rather that they were making the best decision for them and their families
nanotm
Pro

the only reason the article was in the magazine was because one of the employees was crying they were being forced to commute or move to a new location when they didn't want to do so, the beeb's comment that they would utilise the in-house relocation system to help people move on says it all really, they either shift workplace or they get the push /
Community Veteran

Obviously ,you are privy to insider information about why the article was published as the actual article makes no mention of staff complaining only commenting on the poor take-up
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:p_xs_1yX_tIJ:www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/staff-...
Perhaps you can enlighten us as to the basis of what appears at first sight to be unfounded allegations
nanotm
Pro

theres a loaded question if one was asked,
you must be fully aware that to provide such information would be to breach certain restrictions on unsanctioned communications.
if you want to know the truth go ask a mate who works there I wont be stitching mine up by telling you or anyone else who they are,
suffice to say the article was written because certain people wanted to get forced out and get public opinion on their side to sway a tribunal to give them a lot of cash they don't deserve!