cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you let a trusted company access to your PC?

Fixes: 125

Would you let a trusted company access to your PC?

Last month I upgraded to Accountz V3 an accounting package I've been using since the '80s in one form or another.
I've met the original programmer who subsequently founded the company and discussed programming many times with him.
The new version uses their own Cloud backup included for a year so thought I'd give it a go but have been met with some issues. During a call to their help line today the girl asked if they called use Teamviewer to access my PC to try to ascertain what is going wrong. I politely declined.
Would any of you have agreed access? I think I know what the answers will be...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Would you let a trusted company access to your PC?

Our support teams frequently use Go To Assist to do the same thing.
I think it's rare for them to be denied access.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I came across this about 9 years ago. We had problems with a VMware server and they wanted access to it. Now it was inside a secure location and no external access except for allowed clients. So my PC was used by them remotely to remotely control the VM server.  Shocked
Unless they were a company you had 100% trust in then no way - like the many many Indian calls. But to troubleshoot a problem on their s/w then yes.

Quote from: James
Our support teams frequently use Go To Assist to do the same thing.
I was forgetting about that.
I assume the only customers who use it have very little or no knowledge of PCs/routers/setup.
To be honest, I couldn't see them looking at my monitor would help any more than me describing what I see after taking the steps they advised. Steps I have taken before ringing, anyway.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

RichAllen
Grafter

To be honest I'd be more than a bit wary of letting anyone into my PC, even Plusnet tech support guys.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The difference is them telling you what to type and what you actually type ...
With them in control then they know what is entered rather than what you say was entered - it maybe the same  Smiley They can also quickly do other checks.
Remember you are still in CONTROL, You can kick them off at any time.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

The BIG problem with diagnosing a PC problem is that it is almost impossible to write out a complete prescription of things to check.  Having direct access to the screen / keyboard enables the technician to quickly flit between screens accumulating data to assist in the resolution.  But it is hard to resist making 'tweaks' to correct little oddities along the way.  If you are concerned about this, let them know - otherwise you may just get a quick 'tune-up' as a bonus?
So I'm OK with a known company working with its product on my PC  but NOT the 'Microsoft Bangalore'  cowboys.  Memories of EVIL 40 minutes talking one them through various problems I was having getting the PC into a ready state for them to access - all from the comfort of my armchair and well away from the PC Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

it depends on why they think they need access, the last time I let someone else remote control my pc it took me 2 weeks to completely eradicate any trace of the software they had used, but since it was a problem I couldn't fix I didn't have a lot of choice
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Call back on their published support number and double check the authenticity of the caller.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

The authenticity wasn't in question as I originated the call.

Community Veteran

I do 'remote work' (i.e. work at home) for several organisations, part of the contract normally stipulates "the organisations IT department" have the right to inspect the system their data is being worked on. It normally involves a virus check, certified software copy check, no illicit material, takes about an hour
I wouldn't get the work if I wouldn't let them in.
I just know the "techie" will activate the camera so always have some "trick, or picture" ready.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'd let almost anyone use teamviewer on my PC yes. The connection can be terminated at any time.
TV is just like remote desktop and VNC. It's a screen with a mouse and keyboard. It's nothing like a command terminal where you can send naughty secret commands to the other computer without the owner knowing. All the other party can do is point click and type as if they were using the computer sitting at it. What you see them doing is all that they can do. As long as you're sat there keeping an eye on it there really isn't much of a threat.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

So long as I am satisfied that the company is bona-fida I would allow access.  Just double check they are signed off at the end.
I had some set-up problems with a new HP laptop I bought.  Their tech staff took over tghe machine and sorted it out for me very efficiently.

Thanks for all your comments on this.
Bearing in mind all that has been said if the problem hasn't been fixed (it looks like it may have corrected itself now, though) I think I will allow them access. Teamviewer has been mentioned many times on these fora although I use LogMeIn to assist SWMBO, her family in Ukraine and my daughter (even the ex-wife  Cheesy).
Quote from: Mav
Would any of you have agreed access? I think I know what the answers will be...

I was wrong  Embarrassed